II. WHAT HAPPENS IN LAGOS...

__________

The parasol above Luna and Wanda's table did little to stop the hot Lagos sun from penetrating as the early morning was slowly turning into midday. Before they went to sit down for the stake-out, Cap had handed them both a hat and sunglasses, saying that they'd look less noticeable with them on. Luna had some doubts on the matter.

Currently, their mission to stop the ex-HYDRA agent known as Crossbones from getting his hands on a dangerous bio-weapon, was officially underway. This was what Steve and Natasha had been training them for, and what they would keep doing for as long as they could.

Wanda concentrated hard on her cup of coffee as she poured her second pack of sugar in. Shoving the empty pack under her cup, she picked up the small spoon and stirred the hot liquid. Bringing the white porcelain mug to her lips, she took a small sip. Her face scrunched together and she quickly took another sugar pack, pouring it in.

Luna frowned at the girl's actions. "You want some coffee with that sugar?"

Rolling her eyes, Wanda leaned back in her seat, looking around inconspicuously at the people at the market in Lagos. "It is bitter." She said.

Luna nodded slowly as she adjusted her black sunglasses. "Yes, it's coffee, that's the point."

"I don't like it this bitter." Wanda replied, her eyes darting around the terrace of the small restaurant.

"Then why did you order coffee?" Pietro's voice came through the comms, "you know, they have tea."

"Guys," Cap's voice came through the comms, "Let's stay on mission. Alright, what do you see?"

Luna brought her own coffee up to her mouth and as she took a sip she let her eyes wander. "Low-life cops," she said as she eyed the police station across from the restaurant, "small-ass station. Street's quiet, not a lot of action, don't think they'd expect any either. Oh, and there's this spunky redhead a couple of tables away, looks sus."

The redhead a couple of tables away, also sporting some fancy sunglasses, turned and glared at Luna.

Luna grinned and winked at her.

Pietro, who sat opposite the spunky redhead, hid his grin.

Wanda shook her head at the girl opposite her. "Station's a good target, Cap." She said.

"There's an ATM in the south corner," Cap said from his overview in a building above the street, "Which means..."

"Cameras." Wanda finished.

"I thought this was 'a serious and high-risk mission', not another training session." Luna grumbled under her breath.

"No reason it can't be both, rookie," she could hear Steve's satisfied smile, "both cross streets are one way." He said.

Luna sunk into her uncomfortable seat, she was sure to have back pain later, and stared bored into the blue, cloudless sky. "Means he's getting seen one way or another; compromised escape routes. Not a smart move."

"Maybe," Cap countered, "or our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see the Range Rover halfway up the block?"

Wanda spoke openly, a benefit they had gained when they put two people, Wanda and Luna, at the same table. They could speak into the comms without it seeming weird, or suspicious to bystanders. Natasha and Pietro had the same benefit. "Yeah," she said as she glanced quickly over her shoulder, "the red one? It's cute, better than Luna's crappy convertible."

Luna's mouth fell open. "Hey!" She exclaimed quietly.

"It is true..." Pietro muttered.

"It's also bulletproof." Luna's gaze panned over Wanda's shoulder, to Natasha sipping her coffee. "Which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us." Natasha said.

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" Wanda said as she smiled, as if in a riveting conversation with Luna.

"I have a literal spirit in me that lets me use the elements to my will. Pietro can, like, run really fast." Luna added. "Sometimes it feels like y'all forget we have superpowers. It hurts my feelings." She said, and made a pouting face.

"Doesn't matter that you have powers if the bad guys get the jump on you. Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature." Natasha said.

Luna, almost forgetting there was another person on this mission, tried to stop herself from flinching as Sam's voice came through the radio. He had been stationed on the top of the building that towered over the police station. "Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" He said.

"Not to my face." Natasha replied. "Why? Did you hear something?"