29 - Threats From Outer Space

I haven't spoken to Steve or Sam for around two years now, which has given me time to think over everything that happened. I still have no idea where James is though. I've been keeping in contact with Pietro, who is in Edinburg with Wanda and Vision. Clint and Scott are still choosing to be on house arrest in order to protect their families from danger.

On the other half of the dilemma, Tony is at the compound with Rhodey, Peter's back in Queens but occasionally comes to the compound for the Stark Internship, Natasha's back from finding her family in Russia, T'Challa is back with his family in Wakanda, and Vision is with Wanda.

Both Bruce and Thor have been missing since Sokovia – Banner got stuck in a Quinjet as the Hulk and disappeared, whereas Thor went 'on a journey through space.'

I met with Natasha this morning at a coffee shop in Brooklyn. I did suggest to have the compound as the meeting place but she told me she wants to avoid anyone who could get her arrested.

"Do you remember Yelena?" She asks.

"I have vague memories of her," I say, "why?"

"Well, I found her. And Alexie. And Melina."

"In Russia?"

"Yeah," she says, "oh, and we brought down the Red Room."

"I saw about that," I nod, sipping my drink, "good job."

"Thanks." She smiles.

"Dreykov wasn't dead, by the way." Nat continues.

"I thought Shield-"

"Yeah, me too," she sighs, "turns out Dreykov turned his daughter into this 'Taskmaster' who can mimic your every move too."

"That's... terrifying."

"The Red Room were chemically conditioning their Agents instead of psychologically conditioning them, like they did with me. So, after we took them down, Yelena's been around the world setting the Widows free."

"That's great," I say, "she didn't seem that interested in anything when I first met her, but then to be fair, she was in the Red Room."

"I found her in the Budapest safehouse Clint and I used a few years back." Nat states.

"Why were you there?" I ask.

"Clint and I stayed there while Shield sent us on the mission to get rid of Dreykov. We had to hide out in vents in a station for a week before we could move."

"That must have been hard."

"It was. We got through it though."

"Has anything exciting happened to you?" Nat asks.

"I haven't spoken to Steve for two years, so I guess that could count." I chuckle.

"How come?"

"Hydra related stuff," I answer, "I don't really want to go into detail."

"Fair enough."

We continue talking for an hour or so before the coffee shop starts to get busy. Nat heads off in a cab to 'find Cap,' while I make my way back to the compound. I was offered to go with her, but I decided not to.

~

Back at the compound, I'm sitting in the lab and stitching up a few small rips on my suit, when Bruce stumbles slightly into the room.

"Banner," I say, putting my stuff down and rushing over to him, "oh my- are you ok?"

"Yeah, yeah," he replies shakily, "I'm ok."