Chapter Forty

Freddy was pacing back and forth around the area. "What am I going to do? They're onto me! And Vanessa- what will she do?"
"Why don't you find out?" A voice from behind him made him jump a little.
 He recognized the voice and exhaled, low-key panicking. "Vanessa."

He turned around and there she was. Vanessa furrowed her eyebrows. "Freddy,"
"I know, I know," Freddy looked away. "I need to be more careful."
Vanessa raised an eyebrow. "I have been watching you. You failed to put Moon's button in the right spot. And to add to it, Gregory knows that he's not human. We are failing. Everything is going the wrong way."

Freddy looked away awkwardly. "I know."
"Then why are you still standing here and not trying to FIX it?" Vanessa snapped.
"Okay, I'll go and try to fix it, then."
Freddy turned to walk the other way but Vanessa spoke once more. "Freddy, you know what will happen if you fail. One more slip up and you and your little friends are scrap."

Freddy furrowed his eyebrows but didn't object. "Yes, ma'am."
"Good," Vanessa turned around and walked away from him.
As soon as her footsteps had quieted, Freddy fell to his knees. "I'm so sorry, Chica... Everyone. I can't be the good guy. I've tried..."

"Don't apologize," a hand touched his shoulder. 
Freddy whipped around defensively but relaxed when he saw Chica. A sympathetic look took over her eyes. "Chica," Freddy's eyes widened. 
But he felt happy to see her. 

"Come on, stand up big man," Chica smiled and extended a hand. 
Freddy gave a slight smile back before taking her hand. She helped him stand up. "Thank you, Chica," Freddy looked at her. 
"No problem, Freddy!" Chica smiled brighter. 

She was sweet and her smile made Freddy feel weird inside. But something wasn't quite right. Something in her eyes...
Just then, something heavy landed on him, knocking him to the floor. 

He angled his head so he could see who had him pinned. "Montgomery," Freddy furrowed his eyebrows, smiling evilly. 
Monty growled. "You should be glad I'm not tearing you apart right now."
Freddy stifled a laugh. "I'd like to see you try."

"Shut it," a new voice came from behind him just as someone tied his legs together.
Freddy couldn't turn his head to look, but he recognized that voice well. "Roxanne?"
"The one and only," she answered. 
"I'm sorry, Freddy. We- we have to do this," Chica kneeled in front of him. 

Freddy searched her eyes. "Do you... think I'm a traitor?"
Chica sighed and looked away. "I'd like to think you're not. But... we're trying to find out." 
"We're ready," Roxy told Chica. 
Chica acknowledged her with a nod and Monty got off of Freddy.

Freddy suddenly got lifted into the air. Monty and Roxy had a grip on him. "Where are you taking me? Isn't this freddynapping? Let go of me!"
He tried to struggle free, but he was tied up, so it didn't do much except make Monty angry.
"Alright," Chica started walking and the others followed. "Let's go."