09

As Penelope had expected, the rumours has spread all throughout the empire within and is still famous and relevant even after several months passed already. There were various invitations for tea parties that passed by Penelope's desk that she chose to ignore, except for the few invites that will likely benefit her. She also began to work on winning the graces of the Count's servants and his partners in business. Some of them even had the gall to comment outright that Penelope will be a better head than the count.

In those several months, Penelope watched as the Count slowly loses his sanity with the various drawbacks that their business is currently experiencing, the rumours, as well as the sneers of the noble society. And in those months as well, Penelope and Diana had begun to exchange letters. Their letters containing nonsense things that ladies talks about and whatnot.

Oh and the crown Prince has taken a fancy to Penelope.

'Ah. Sooner or later, the Count will be insane. What a lovely day that would be.' Penelope thought, inhaling the bouquet that the crown Prince sent for her.

'I didn't know I made quite an impact to Anastacius. Should I reject him?'

[You like him, don't you, Host?]

'I simp for him.'

Penelope was pulled out from her thoughts when a knock sounded on her door. It was Keira.

"My Lady? The Count is calling for you and Lady Rosalia in his study."

Penelope sighed frustratedly before standing up, "Coming."

———

"Father. What is the reason that you have called for us?" Penelope asked politely, trying hard to not look disgusted at the word 'Father'.

The Count paced back and forth and Penelope will admit, she's quite getting dizzy from all of his pacing. And oh, would you look at that? The Count is haggard, with bags under his eyes, and ghostly complexion.

'Don't tell me you're dying already? The show's not yet over. So you better live, until then. It'll be quite a bother to resurrect you just to unleash my wrath again.' Penelope thought amusedly.

"I am leaving for somewhere. I'll leave the estate in the meantime to you, Penelope. Don't disappoint me." The Count said, glaring at the both of them.

'Eh. You'll probably go meet your partner in human trafficking aren't you? I'll get you both, soon.'

[Host... You're scary.]

'No. I'm not.'

[Whatever you say, Host.]

"Of course, Father. Rest assured, I'll handle it well." Penelope answered, forming a saccharine smile and inclining her head.

"Good. You're both dismissed."

———

"Oh it's you." A cocky voice said, Penelope raised a brow in confusion before looking around the garden.

'Huh?'

"Up here, you dumbass." The voice said again, Penelope then looked up at the three a few feet away from where she's sitting and saw Lucas.

"What are you doing here?" Penelope asked.

"I thought you were interesting, so I looked for you." Lucas said nonchalantly, hopping off of the tree.

[Host, maybe you can ask for his help?]

'Regarding Aethernitas? Huh, maybe.'

"Perfect timing! I need your help for something!" Penelope exclaimed, standing up from her seat and crossing their distance.