Chapter 19

With Jason out of town for the week, this time to Raleigh, my life went back to my usual routine of school, work, and sleep.

So, on Wednesday, when Faith asked us if we wanted to tag along for some prom dress shopping, I was just bored enough to say, "Yes".

Driving up to her mother's house, I parked on the street, locking the car as though anybody in this neighborhood would deign to steal it.

Inside, I passed through the entryway, grimacing at the efforts of a would-be decorator who hadn't yet developed good taste. Following the path to the living room, I discovered Sierra lounging on the green suede couch, and voices from down the hall told me that Faith was in her mom's room.

"Hey," I nodded, taking a seat next to her.

She made a noncommittal noise, not bothering to take her eyes off of her phone.

A sound from the kitchen warned me that Paul was home.

I heard him walk in behind us a moment later. Steeling myself, I twisted in my seat to say hi to Faith's stepfather, a tall man with the build of a basketball player several years past his prime. One look and you knew he was the kind of guy who'd get a couple of beers into him and then bore you with tales of his high school championship season.

I, unfortunately, knew this from personal experience.

"Hi, Hailey. It's good to see you again."

I returned the greeting, unnerved by the way his eyes lingered on my lips. When I saw them begin to trail lower, I turned back around.

Standing at the back of the couch, I felt his hand rest next to my shoulder as he ostensibly watched the news program on the TV. When I felt the sticky heat of an unwanted stare on my exposed cleavage, I tried to pretend that I was imagining it.

I swallowed, fighting the urge to shift away from his hand and wishing I'd worn a shirt with a higher neckline.

He moved of his own volition when his wife and stepdaughter walked into the room.

"Ready, girls?"

Standing, I nodded. I don't think I'd ever been so happy to see Amanda in my life.

Walking through the door of the bridal boutique, we were directed to the right side of the showroom which had been completely overtaken with racks upon racks of ballgowns and sheath dresses in every color under the sun. Prom season had arrived, and dress shops all over the city were ready to separate young girls from their daddies' money.

A saleswoman, sensing a fat commission, arrived to take Faith and Sierra's sizes and preferences. When she asked me, I just shook my head. I didn't need to look at the price tags to know that I wouldn't be able to afford even the cheapest dress in this building.

As we were led to a pair of dressing rooms, Amanda shook my shoulder and gushed, "Isn't this exciting?"

I glanced over awkwardly, wondering if she'd noticed that I wasn't taking part.

She continued, seemingly in her own world. "God, it seems like just yesterday that I was shopping for my own prom dress." She sighed wistfully. "It was this gorgeous crimson color, and had a poofy skirt that was just so fun."

Faith interrupted. "Don't get any ideas, Mom. I want us thinking sleek and sexy."

Shaking her head, Amanda continued. "I get it, I get it – fashions have changed since my heyday." She smiled, "Of course, I needed that poof because somebody was starting to make her presence known, and I had a bump to hide." Reaching out, she ruffled Faith's hair.

"Mom-"

"That was such a great night. I felt like a princess, Jason looked like a prince, and it was just magical..."

Faith nodded absently, watching as the saleswoman approached with her arms full.

I, on the other hand, tried my best to act like I wasn't standing here listening to my fuck-buddy's ex reminisce about their past.

Pulling out my phone, I shot my mom a message:

"Hey, I'm out with Faith prom dress shopping – for real this time. I'll be back late."

Then, I noticed a message from Jason.

Opening it, I almost jumped out of my skin, hiding the screen as fast as I could.

Looking over at Amanda, I laughed apologetically, "Sorry, it's my mom; I'll be right back."

I knew that she would barely register my absence.

Walking away, I made sure no one was looking over my shoulder before I took another look at my phone.

The image showed a woman's wrists bound with rope and tied to the metal rods of a headboard. Below, the message text read:

"Next time you stay over, I want to do this to you. Thoughts?"

There was a buzzing in my head as I envisioned the scene, imagining being restrained like that, what it would feel like to submit to his control...

I replied: "YES."

In a heartbeat, he was typing, and then I read:

"I thought you'd like that. I actually got bored and bought some hemp rope to practice with. Wanna see?"

I felt no hesitation as I furiously typed, "YES!"

A moment later, another image appeared, and my breath caught in my throat.

The muscled thigh and calf were undeniably Jason's, but the intricate ladderwork of black cording that tied them together was a new, delicious addition.

Staring at it, I felt my pulse thundering in my ears. Time slowed as a delirious hunger stole over me.

"...can you teach me to do that?"

His reply was instantaneous. "Baby, I'd love to."