8

"Dearest Readers,

All is fair in love and war, but some battles leave no victor, only a trail of broken hearts that makes us wonder if the price we pay is ever worth the fight. The ones we love have the power to inflict the greatest scars.
For what thing is more fragile...than the human heart?
The bond between man and bride is private, sacred. But I must tell you, I have learned that a grave fraud is afoot. As if the Featheringtons did not have enough to be dealing with, Miss Marina Thompson is with child...and she has been from the very first day she arrived in our fair city. Desperate times may call for desperate measures, but I would wager many will think her actions beyond the pale. Perhaps she thought it her only option, or perhaps she knows no shame. But I ask you, can the ends ever justify such wretched means?"

-Lady Whistledown's Society Papers

"What does it mean for Colin's reputation?" Charlie asked as he and Isa are reading alongside me.

"Technically it's worse for the Featheringtons because they knew the whole time and thought to try to trick Colin into marriage," I said with bitter in my tone, obviously bothered that Lady Featherington felt she had to go this far to save her family's reputation, when it has indeed failed her anyways.

"Can't imagine how Lady Bridgerton and Anthony must feel," Isa says as I get up from my seat to walk among the drawing room, "I know Colin possibly feels duped that the lady he was to marry has lied about something so life-changing."

I sighed as I continue listening to Isa and Charlie's conversation about the whole ordeal and silently pray that the damage hasn't been inflicted too badly that there's still time for the Featherington girls and Marina to have redemption, can't exactly blame them for this considering their minds still have much to learn and can easily be misguided on some occasions.

"Are you going to visit them sister?" Isa asked, pulling me out of my thoughts as I nodded yes.

"I will in two days time, just to give them time to process the news. As well as see if they need help with something or simply for the company," I responded as I throw the crumpled sheet into the fireplace, to never be read again. I love being caught up with the gossip as the next lady of the ton, but when it comes to my family, my dear friends' names and especially my courtship partner, I have no desire to keep or reread them and neither does my siblings.

-Two Days Time-

I get myself prepared to head out towards the estate when Josie appears in the doorway, with a solemn look on her face and a letter in her hand, which appears to be opened.

"What is it Josie?" I asked worried that she found out some news in regards to her family or something worse. Josie stayed silent and I unintentionally say in a serious but shaky tone, "Josephine, tell me what is in your hand."

"It's a letter, but not the kind you'd expect," Josie responds as she hands me the letter and I took it from her, "You might want to sit down before reading it."

I nod my head to say, "Okay, also, I'm sorry for calling your full name. Your silence was upping my fears." as Josie shook her head to reply, "No worry miss, I was just baffled by it. It was already opened." She left and shut the door behind her, leaving me alone to read what the parchment says. I didn't recognize the writing at first, until I looked at the details that was written in ink.