Fleeting Joy

(Y/n) and Abigail were sitting in the small shack, watching over Jack and Annebeth as they try to play in a very half-hearted way. Jack was sad about John being arrested and Annebeth was sad about Arthur missing. Both women felt pity and empathize with the kids when Sadie comes in.

"Well...?" Abigail asked Sadie, worried. "As far as I could gather, John is still alive but....they moved him to Sisika. Working in a chain gang." Sadie explained and Abigail let's out a sigh. "At least he hasn't been hung." She mutters. "Not yet at least." (Y/n) said and Sadie nods.

"(Y/n)'s right. We need to come up with a plan to break him out because there is talks of hanging him. I don't know when but I don't think we have alot of time." She said and (y/n) furrows her brow. "Sadie, Sisika is one of the most guarded prisons in the America." (Y/n) said. "How the hell are we gonna break John out from a place like that?"

"I'm working on it. First, I need to figure out how guarded that place is and where John is in that place. You know, get an idea on how to get him out." Sadie said. "That's gonna be tough, unless you have a secret ability to fly." (Y/n) said and Sadie gets this look on her face, like a great idea came to her. "I think you just gave me an idea, (y/n)." She said as she leaves and walks out of the shack.

"What was all that about?" Abigail said after she gave a confused look to (y/n). "I don't know." (Y/n) said, shrugging, before she went back to watching the kids.

Late that night, but early the next morning, a small boat rows towards the shore of Annesburg and Arthur gets out of the boat. "Thanks, fellers." He mutters to them and they nod and row away. Arthur runs over to the streets and noticed a horse that was hitched in front of a bar.

He quickly runs to the horse, mounts it and makes his way over to Shady Belle. Hang on, girls. I'm on my way. Arthur thought as he gallops away as the sun started to rise.

The sun was fully up by the time Arthur made it to Shady Belle. The first thing he noticed was that the place looked abandoned and that someone was in a rush to get out. "Hello?" Arthur calls out as he dismounts his horse and walks up to the building. "Hello? Anyone here?" he calls out as he gets inside. "(Y/n)? Annebeth?" He calls out as he walks into another room and noticed a letter on the table.

He picks it up and reads it and noticed the handwriting looked familiar.

My Darling Tacitus,

I do so hope you enjoyed your vacation. Lucky you, leaving like that. And you always suggested you were too old for travel. I hope you and your cousins enjoyed yourselves.

Me and your granddaughter have decided to take a trip of our own as the place has become so dreary and God forsaken in your absence.

We've gone to visit relatives from my Daddy's side in Lakey. A small village, just North of Saint Denis. It's buggy and muggy, but apparently neither is too bad at this time of year.

    Please come see us when you can, my love.

Yours sincerely,
Caroline.

"Well, thank you...Darling Caroline." Arthur mutters as he smiles to himself and he tucks away the letter. But right then and there, he hears voices.

"Milton keeps sending us back every day to search this place."

"There quite clearly isn't a gang of outlaws holed up here."

Arthur walks over to the window and crouches down then slowly looks through the window and see four Pinkertons outside. "Someone is here, look. Those are fresh footprints. Looks like someone might be here right now." One of the Pinkertons said as he looks at the footprints that Arthur just made.