91

Bondita gave Aniruddh his coffee and stood waiting, tapping her feet nervously.

" You don't have to get me coffee anymore till your exams are over." He said.

" What ? No. It's ok. I have to do Pooja everyday anyways. I can take time out for one cup of coffee." She replied forcefully. " Besides...we should know how to balance everything. Yes I have exams in a few days but I can still do many things..."

" No." One finger raises up, he looked at her pressing her lips in distaste. " You will not indulge in any work. Study, eat, rest and relax. This is all you will be doing for a few days."

" But Pati Babu this is unfair !"

" Unfair ? I am asking you to not take tension of anything and I am being unfair ?"

" But... I wanted to do some things..."

" Like ?"

" I... want to..." She looked away irritated. He was already pointing fingers. He would sure jump up if she professed her wish.

" You want me to get you something ? "

" I want you to do something."

" What ?"

Bondita looked up to the ceiling. Should she ask him ? " Nothing !"

" Nothing !"

" Yes nothing." She wanted to change the topic. " It is Sunday and you are all dressed up. Are you going somewhere ?"

" Yes. To the ashram."

" Oh..." Bondita got serious. " Will there be Aarti ji there too ?"

" Yes. Ofcourse. She lives there."

It had been a while since Bondita saw her. Sometimes in the market or streets. That was all. She didn't know how to talk to her anymore. She was the victim of the society norms Bondita was preparing to fight against. She should be able to connect to women like Aarti ji.

" I... I wanted to go there too." Bondita said.

" Ofcourse. It will be good for you. After your exams. Ok ?" He saw her face drop. " We will go to get kulfi." He smiled. " And golgappe and shopping too."

" After exams." She said sarcastically.

" After exams." He mimicked her making her twist her lips at him and going out of the study.

"So..." Aarti was attending to Aniruddh  Roy Chowdhury, Zamindar, who came for a round in the ashram. To see if things were ok. To see if they needed something. The work of bathrooms at the back of the ashram was finished and he had to see if it was ok. " How are you Barrister Babu ? We have not met in a long time." They were finally done with the round.

" Quite good actually. You ?"

" Good. Great infact. I am keeping myself busy with the work you gave me. I have talked to many people trying to make them aware of the new laws and rules."

" Oh. So that is why you have stopped coming to my office ?" Aniruddh joked lightly.

" It is not like that Barrister Babu." She smiled back. " I thought..." That she was visiting a little too much.

They had been walking for sometime when her room came to their view. The night flashed in both of their eyes. Aniruddh was reminded of what conditions led him to this place, that the man responsible for this was never caught. She was reminded of how she had taken his shirt off, how he looked at her in pain.

" She was almost widowed that night Barrister Babu." Aniruddh was made to realise the cruel fact again. " The pain of loosing a husband...like you. It must have been too much." They both were not looking at each other but at the small one roomed Hut she called home. " Why did she still choose to stay ?"