Bad Dating Advice-Steve Harrington

"Alright," Steve sighed. "Let me get this straight - you kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who you just met?"

"Alright, that's grossly over-simplifying things."

"Why would a girl like some nasty slug-thing anyway?"

"An interdementional slug?" Dustin laughed. "Cause it's awesome!"

"Well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I just. . . I don't know. I feel like you're trying way too hard."

"Well, not everyone can have your perfect hair, all right?"

"It's not about the hair, man," Steve sighed. "The key with girls is just. . . just acting like you don't care."

"Even if you do?" Dustin asked.

"Yeah, exactly. It drives them nuts."

"Then what?"

"You just wait until uh. . . until you feel it," Steve said, sounding a little off.

"Feel what?"

"It's like before it's gonna storm, you know? You can't see it, but you can feel it, like this, uh. . ." I looked over at him when he hesitated. "Electricity, you know?"

"Oh, like in the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere. . ."

"No, no, no, no, no," Steve cut me off. "Like a. . . Like a sexual electricity."

"Oh," Dustin said under my breath.

"You feel that and then you make your move."

"So that's when you kiss her?"

"Whoa," Steve said quickly, "Slow down, Romeo."

"Sorry," Dustin mumbled.

"Sure, okay, some girls, yeah, they want you to be aggressive. You know, strong, hot and heavy. Like a. . . I don't know. Like a lion. But others you got to be slow, you gotta be stealthy. . .like a ninja."

"Okay," I cut him off. "I'm sorry, but I can't sit back and listen to this. No offense, Steve, but that advice is horrible."

"At least you sugar-coated it," Steve laughed. I looked over and could tell from the look in his eyes that he was slightly offended. 

"Look," I sighed, "I don't mean to damage your ego, Harrington. I just don't know if you really have the authority to give Dustin advice on girls."

"Really?" Steve laughed. "Be my guest."

"Speaking as a girl," I smirked, "being ignored by a guy who likes me is the most frustrating and insulting thing ever. If a guy has feelings for me, I hope he has the balls to come right out and say it. At the end of the day, a girl doesn't want a guy to play with her. That's not what dating is. It's not a game of cat and mouse. It's a relationship between two people who care about each other. If you start it off by playing some stupid game, it'll end before you even have the chance to level up."

"Okay," Steve said, the tone of his voice slightly changing. "What about that thing I said about the electricity? You have to give me that."

"For people our age, sure," I shrugged. I smirked as I added, "There should be some level of attraction."

"Well, there," he laughed victoriously. "I was right.

"No, you weren't," I sighed. "Steve, you can't tell a fourteen-year-old boy to be on the lookout for sexual electricity between him and a fourteen-year-old girl."

"Why not?"

"They're fourteen!" I laughed. "Think about it, Steve. Dustin shouldn't be worried about sexual electricity. He should be worried about being able to talk to a girl."

I cleared my throat as we continued to throw meat pieces onto the train tracks. I could feel Steve continually glance at me but I kept my gaze on the tracks.

A little way down the tracks, Dustin got ahead of us. I finally responded to Steve's gaze by looking at him. He opened his mouth to say something but was cut off by growling.

"Please tell me that's Dart," I sighed.

"Yeah," Dustin smiled as he turned around and looked at Steve and me. "That's him. Let's go!"

* * * * *

A couple of days after Eleven closed the gate, there was a knock at my door. When I opened it, I was surprised by who was standing on our porch.

"Steve?" I couldn't help but look around to see if any of the kids came with him. "What are you doing here? Is something wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," Steve chuckled.

"Then what are you doing here?" I asked slowly.

"You were right."

"About?" I asked.

"About how a guy should come straight out and tell a girl that he likes her instead of playing games with her."

"Oh umm. . . Thanks?" I wasn't really sure how to respond. I waited for him to say something, but he just ran his fingers through his hair.

"Steve?" I spoke up after he didn't say anything for what felt like several minutes. "What's going on? What are you doing here?"

"Will you go on a date with me?" He blurted out.

"What?" I stuttered.

"Will you go on a date with me?" He asked again.

I couldn't wrap my head around what he was asking. There was no way Steve Harrington was actually asking me out. I sighed when I realized what was happening.

"If you're doing this to prove my point from the other day, there's no need."

"That's not what I was doing," he defended.

"This isn't funny, Steve."

"I'm not. . ."

"Please stop making fun of me."

"I'm not making fun of you," Steve said quickly. "And I'm not joking. I'm serious, Y/N. Will you go on a date with me?"

"Why on earth would you want to go out with me?" I asked, my voice breaking.

"Why wouldn't I want to go out with you?" He countered.

"It's not hard to figure out," I tried to scoff but it sounded more like choking on a sob.

"Y/N. . ."

"I'm just being realistic," I said, clearing my throat. "You and I both know I'm right."

Neither one of us looked away. Finally, our staring contest got too much. I had to look away. I looked down at my feet and wrapped my arms around myself.

"Y/N," he whispered.

"Stop," I said, my voice breaking. "This really isn't funny, Steve. I don't know why you're doing this, but please go."

I started to close the door but Steve grabbed it. I looked up, my breath getting stuck in my throat when I saw the way he was looking at me. Never in my life did I think Steve Harrington would ever look at me like this.

"I'm not joking. I'm not playing a prank. I'm not lying. I'm not messing with you. I'm not setting you up. I'm not teasing you. I'm not making fun of you. I would never hurt you like that."

"Steve," I said a lot softer than I thought I would say.

"I'm serious, Y/N," he said. "I want to go on a date with you."

Part 2 Coming Soon