37

Once again he lifted a stone and smashed his own foot. Shen Yu stopped talking.

But he secretly told himself: Did His Majesty change? He's not as funny as he used to be.

For a while they read together. Then Shen Yu suddenly remembered something.

"Your Majesty, spring is here. Should we go on an outing?" Shen Yu blinked. "Of course, if Your Majesty doesn't have time, I can go alone."

"Thinking of leaving the palace?" Shang JunLin asked.

Shen Yu propped his head in his hand and nodded. "The spring scenery is so nice. Every year I go to the manor. If I can't go this year it would be a shame."

Shang JunLin: "What manor?"

Shen Yu: "It's one of the few things I inherited from my mother. Your Majesty knows how my life was in the Zhenbei Marquis' residence. Sometimes I really thought it would be better if I lived in the village all the time and didn't have so many worries."

Before Shen Yu entered the harem, Shang JunLin asked the Hidden Dragon Guard to check his background. What Shen Yu said was indeed true. Despite being the only di son of the Zhenbei Marquis, Shen Yu didn't have an easy life in the Zhenbei Marquis' residence. For Madam Ru and her son, who was almost the same age as Shen Yu, his very existence was an eyesore.

Shang JunLin stroked Shen Yu's long hair and said softly, "Don't worry, noble monarch. No one will be able to bully you in the future."

He couldn't change what happened in the past, but the present and future were under his control. He'd never allow anyone to oppress Shen Yu while he was under his wings.

He also knew Shen Yu made an annual visit to a certain village every year, saying that he was going to recuperate in a place with peace and quiet. But Shen Yu was the legitimate son of a noble house. Why did he have to go somewhere else to recover from illness?

Because it was an excuse for outsiders. Only Shen Yu himself knew the real reason.

Shen Yu didn't know what was running through Shang JunLin's mind, but he saw a touch of distress in the emperor's eyes.

Shen Yu leaned over to Shang JunLin. "Does Your Majesty agree?"

As Shen Yu spoke, their breath intertwined. Shang JunLin's eyes deepened. "If the noble monarch wants this emperor to agree, isn't there something you should say?"

"Surely Your Majesty is impervious to offers of riches and honors? Is it even possible to sway someone who's so mighty?" Shen Yu pretended not to understand the man's hint. He innocently widened his eyes. "Your Majesty, I'm thinking of you as well. Everyone likes to go out to enjoy themselves when it's spring. Your Majesty is so busy with public affairs every day. You should find some time to relax and unwind."

"The noble monarch knows this emperor has urgent business." There was no emotion in Shang JunLin's voice.

There were multiple things piled up, all of which needed to be dealt with, and one of them involved a subject as serious as the bloodline of the imperial family. Shang JunLin hadn't rested for several days.

"Political affairs are always urgent." Shen Yu pressed the memorial in Shang JunLin's hand. "Your Majesty employs so many officials. Just leave some of it to them. Why does Your Majesty have to do everything yourself?"

"The noble monarch is right." Although he said so, Shang JunLin didn't lower the memorial he was holding.

The large desk was covered with the books Shen Yu was reading, which he'd intentionally strewn across the entire surface. Shang JunLin's memorials occupied only a small corner. Later, Shen Yu put some of the books in a pile to make more room for Shang JunLin's reports.