one

"Just business?" Daeun's aunt, Aunt Yeongja, asked. She eyed the girl with pure disgust as she sipped her tea. Mrs Ahn laughed nervously before holding her daughter's hand, "She's the smartest in class, Yeongja. Taking a business major isn't that bad."

"Well, my daughter is currently studying at the Park Medical School. Being a surgeon is way better than just being a businesswoman."

Daeun tightened her hold around her teacup, feeling her jaw clenching out of anger. She slammed her cup on the coffee table before stomping out of the room. Her mother would always hold a small gathering with her relatives to tighten their family bond. She knew Aunt Yeongja never liked her mother and used to try to set her father up with someone else.

Daeun let out a heavy exhale as she stepped into the kitchen. She opened the fridge and poured herself some cold water.

"Daeun-ah," her mother called. She ignored her mother's calls and continued putting the water jug back into the fridge.

"You have to get back to the living room, Ahn Daeun."

"And what? See Aunt Yeongja bully you again? Why do you even try to bond with her? She's a bully that's jealous of dad being South Korea's president."

"I know, Daeun. But we have to try for dad. He must want us to bond with his sister's family. And no matter how much you hate your cousin, Bina, you have to try to not kill her. Okay?"

Daeun scoffed and left the kitchen, heading back to the living room. She sat back on the couch and leaned back, narrowing her eyes at Bina.

"Why the hell are you staring at me like that?" The said cousin started to feel creeped out.

"You know how much I love studying, right?"

"So?"

Mrs Ahn plopped herself next to her on the couch, pouring herself another cup of tea. Daeun smirked, "Mom, I'm thinking of continuing my studies. I'm going to go to a medical school."

Aunt Yeongja dropped her teacup, watching it shatter into pieces. "Do not speak nonsense, Ahn Daeun."

"Why can't I? If Bina can, then why can't I?"

"Do not copy me, Daeun. I know you're always jealous of me for being perfect, but don't make it obvious by taking the same major as I am."

"I'm not copying you. I'm trying to beat you. And then we'll see who's the best, shall we?" She grinned before leaving the living room.

"Yah! Ahn Daeun!" Bina tried chasing after her but failed.

"Yejin, I expect you to teach your daughter some manners! How dare she upset my daughter!" Yeongja spat before bringing her daughter out of the house.

Yejin watched as the entrance door closed. Her fake smile soon turned into a frown. She let out a tired sigh before scoffing, "Fucking bitch. Let's watch my daughter beat your daughter up. She always wins."

"Are you done?" Sunghoon asked as he waited in front of the bathroom. Areum had invited him over since Heeseung was still at work. For the past few weeks, she kept feeling nauseous and uneasy most of the time. She decided to take a few days off from work.

"I can't believe you're making me take a pregnancy test," she whined, still in the bathroom. He leaned against the door and chuckled as he listened to her whining on the other side of the door.

"Who knows? Maybe you forgot to take your birth control pills."

"Shit," her sudden curse caught him off guard, "What?"

She opened the door and showed him the result. 'Pregnant' was displayed on the small screen. "Areum-ah, you're pregnant," he breathed out, still surprised.

She silently walked to the living room before plopping herself on the couch. She fiddled with her fingers, still speechless. "How are you feeling?" He asked before sitting next to her.

"I'm worried. What would Heeseung think? What if he's not ready? I mean, we're not married yet. And he's too busy so I don't think we'll get married anytime soon."

"Relax, okay? I'm sure he'll understand."

"Sunghoon, I asked him before. About having kids. He said he wasn't ready."

He didn't know what to say. He scooted himself closer before patting her back to comfort her.