Chapter 19

Memory Lane

Memory Lane

I watch from a distance as the groundskeeper waters the graves of people who have passed. A certain family is weeping as their loved one is buried 6 feet under and taken to a place where they won't be able to see them anymore.

But I'm just visiting the grave of my father, Jacob Laurent. I'll just say that they did a hell of a good job on his headstone.

'Loving Father, Husband and Friend'

If a person only knew what a fragment of the monster he was they would stomp on the lovely taken care ground in front of the stupid lying piece of stone. 

"Snowflake, It's time to go" He came up and placed a delicate kiss on my shoulder. I gave the stone one last look and turned around in his embrace. 

"I'm sorry, Roman" He furrowed his eyebrows. 

"For what? You have nothing to be sorry about" 

"Your kids almost got hurt because of me, you should want nothing to do with me right now. But you're here with me, far away from your kids somewhere that you could be killed-"

"Darling" He grabbed my face between his warm hands, "I wouldn't have come here if I didn't want to. You have nothing to apologize for, that wasn't your fault"

He connected our lips in a soft kiss like he was scared I would fall apart and I wasn't complaining. 

"We have to go now" He placed a kiss on the crown of my head and took my hand leading me out. I took one more glance at the family, a tightness in my chest as an older woman looks at the casket that holds what was once her husband. 

We go out of the gated cemetery and into the black car parked in front of it with Alex and Nayomi in the front seats. 

"Is this still a go?" Alex looks in the mirror at me. All I can do is nod.      

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

We all adjust the metal in our waistbands and I double-check the pocket knife that stays in my boots. 

"The objective isn't to go in guns blazing" I speak breaking the deafening silence in the car "Only if you feel threatened is if you should pull out your guns"

The three of them nod and we exit the car heading towards the warehouse. I had no idea what to expect, all I had was a DNA test and a copy of my birth certificate in my back pocket as proof. 

There were no guards outside the door and the door was unlocked, a short panic rose in my chest. The warehouse was silent as our footsteps moved through the large warehouse.