Chapter 19

The heat of Barcelona hugs us as we step out of the bus and enter the hotel

On our first day in Spain, Vi manages to get the whole group to go out and take a walk in the evening.

Even as the sun is setting, the warmth stays around and makes the walk pleasant and fun. Caleb and Nick are goofing around and constantly teasing everyone.

"That girl was totally checking me out," Caleb states confidentially. Nick snorts. "She was horrified by the mustache you're growing."

"Nick is right, it's not a good look on you," Vi agrees.

Caleb gasps and puts a hand over his heart. "Don't insult me and my mustache. It took a lot of work to grow it out. Besides, I want to look older."

"You're giving Icarus a bad name," I retort, "you look like a creepy man who constantly makes inappropriate jokes."

"That's what a mustache does to you," Violet asks and we both grin at each other.

Caleb looks between all of us, before narrowing his eyes. "Fuck every single one of you. You're always ganging up on me."

"Looking after you, you mean," Nick corrects and slings an arm over Caleb's shoulder, then mine.

I grab Violet's hand and the four of us are walking through the streets like this. There are a few people out, but they're all minding their own business – maybe that has to do with the intimidating guards walking a few feet behind us.

We're further down the streets when Violet suddenly stops walking and turns to an alley.

I frown. "Vi, what's wrong?"

"Shh," she says and motions at us to keep quiet while sneaking towards the alley and crouching down.

Caleb, Nick, and I exchange confused looks and follow her suit, seeing her near a few crates and lifting up cardboard on top of a crate.

And right there, a puppy is staring up at Violet, weeping slowly.

From the looks of it, it seems to be a German Shepherd.

It's dirty and wet, seeming to lick a wound on his paw and softly crying out in pain.

"Oh, look at you," Vi says, her voice soft and low. She reaches her hand inside, but the puppy cowers away in fear.

"What did they do to you?" she asks in a soft whisper, "I won't hurt you."

"It can have rabies," comes Caleb's voice from behind us, but he shuts up as soon as Violet shoots him a murderous look over her shoulder.

"I'ma shut up now."

"Vi," I whisper and crouch down next to her. "It can bite or snap at you if you touch it. We can take it to an animal shelter in the box," I suggest.