012. hijacked

╔ ——————————————— ╗。・:*:・゚CHAPTER TWELVE 。・:*:・゚"hijacked"╚ ——————————————— ╝

╔ ——————————————— ╗
。・:*:・゚CHAPTER TWELVE 。・:*:・゚
"hijacked"
╚ ——————————————— ╝

GRAY DREAMT THAT he was drowning.

He wasn't sure why - perhaps his mind was so exhaustive; mulling over the events of the previous night. Nevertheless, Gray found himself awake in his slumber, staring at the gray walls that made his heart lurch as he remembered what they infered.

STYX. He was back there - but how could he have possibly gotten back there? He was inside of a glass box, the looming panels running up the length of the wall. He pressed a hand to the glass, his heart quickening as he pounded on it with his fist. "Hey!" 

 His shout reverberated throughout the room. It seemed to bounce off of the walls, echoing through his head and making his throat constrict as if it was trying to fold in on itself. He didn't understand. This should be impossible. 

 The door creaked open. Gray felt a painful lurch in his chest as a figure in a white hazmat suit entered the room, holding a small remote control in his hand. The screen covering his face obscured all notable features; but Gray knew exactly who it was. He had seen that face a million times. 

 "Hello, Grayson." 

 Gray pounded his fist on the glass, the warbeled and distorted voice making goosebumps rise on his bare arms. "Hey!" He yelled, hitting the glass over and over, his hand beginning to hurt from the action. "Let me out! Let me-" 

 Water began to fill the box. It soaked his bare feet and swished around his ankles, rising rapidly as if in tune with his heart. Gray hit the glass again, but knew deep down just how fruitless the action was. He put a hand to his face, trying to remember how to breath as the cold water soaked through the white shirt he had been wearing for god-knows how long. He outstretched his hand, but couldn't feel the usual binding sensation to his surroundings. Instead, all stayed the same. The man in the suit stared at him, speaking through a speaker that resonated through Gray's ears.

"Commencing trial 349. Subject 82, Grayson Moreno." 

 "No, wait!" Gray reached up, and his hand hit the top of the box. The water was up to his neck, feeling as if it was tightening a noose that cut off his airway. He couldn't breathe. He couldn't understand. He couldn't breathe

 The water covered his face. He opened his eyes, the desperate inhalation of air already beginning to press tightly against his ribs. He could see his reflection in the glass, clearer than his eyes when they saw the sun for the first time. 

 And - despite it not making sense... his ten year old self stared back at him.

 ***

GRAY BOLTED UPRIGHT.

Peter yelped. He stumbled for a moment, before losing his balance and falling back against the wall, his side smacking against the edge of the small dresser that had been pressed against the wall. Gray could feel his erratic heartbeat press firmly against his ribs; sweat slicking the back of his neck as he struggled to catch his breath.