Prologue Part 3: Act and You Shall Have

Art belongs to NidMagnolia

There have been things going on my mind lately. Questions that I want answers to, yet I fear I may suffer if I do find out. All the more reasons to grab a drink.

I tried to take my mind off things by looking out the window and observing the scenery. I notice a lot of trees out here, which is unusual given that this is Siracusa, but it makes sense since most of the populations are canine. Pardon the stereotype.

It feels horrible to be confined in a van for so long. Especially when most of the best spots to relax are taken by Broca. Does he even know how to share space?

"A couple of minutes left before we reached our destination. Once we get there, act professional towards them." Aosta announced.

I nodded while Broca just grunted.

"Hey Cypher, mind asking you a question?" Chiave asks.

"You are going to need payment if you want answers from me." I replied

Chiave just laughed. He's such a carefree fellow. "Why do you hide your face?"

I was astounded by his question. Does this man not have common sense?

"What kind of question is that?" Aosta retorted, dumbfounded by Chiave's question.

"What? I'm just asking a question after all." He shrugged. "Like I did think of a few possible reasons why."

I raised a brow, "Care to share your thoughts?"

"Well, one is that maybe you're so ugly, people would lose trust in you when they look at your face." Chiave answers smugly.

I, Broca, and Aosta look at Chiave with wide expressions. I feel a bit offended by his answer. I am in no way that ugly. If it has any worth, I regarded myself to be plain-looking by my standards.

"Chiave, what the hell..." Broca responded. "You can't just do that, especially towards this guy who can kill you with a flick."

"Sorry, sorry, I'll just skip that one." Chiave, still gripping the driving wheel, lifted his hands in defeat.

I sighed "What is the second "pissible" reason."

Chiave ignored that remark "well maybe it is because that you are infected."

"I am not infected." I replied.

"Really? But how did you fall on top of a building and not get hurt at all?" Aosta questioned.

"Well, the rewards of training of course." I held my head up high. "The world is a cruel and unjust place. If you are alone in this world, you may need to learn a few tricks that might be deemed impossible if you want to survive. Also thanks to my boots, it helps a lot."

I saw Chiave give a stunned expression, I guess I have enlightened him or poked a button that made him a bit smarter.

"I trained myself to look menacing, so I guess that helps right?." Broca answered

"I guess so, I lost count on how many times you saved our asses thanks to your demon look, Broca." Chiave commented.

"More like prevented fights. I swear how many people just run away from us thanks to your mean look." Aosta commented.

Broca just sighed again, not wanting to deal with this situation.

Chiave smiled "You know I may act dumb, but I have the smarts too."

"Very hard to believe" I smiled.

Chiave's face scrunches in irritation, he looked at me with pride. "Hey. You know I may be not as smart as Aosta. But I can build many great, Machi-"