Code XXX: To Salvage What is Left

[Days Later]

"We really have to make some progress in our mission," Hange sighed. She stood behind Levi with her arms folded across her chest, anxiously tapping her foot. "You can't just sit here and wallow in your despair forever, Levi. We were able to give them a proper funeral and burial. And you know your squad would not be happy if you were to blame yourself for what happened. There are things to get done, and I have another assignment I need to send you on."

The captain was silent as he sat patiently beside Xora's bed in the clinic; one of the IE's doctors from the European headquarters had flown in to treat her. He'd declared she would take at bare minimum another month or two to recover, even with her astounding ability to recuperate. He wanted to recommend at least three to four months of rest and only rest, but of course, everyone knew that she'd never allow for that.

But, he advised that since the first dose of morphine was given, she may not be able to recall some events that have transpired; disorientation after being taken off the painkiller would be normal.

"Archangel would hate to know that all you did as she rested was sit around like a cranky old man," the scientist joked, putting a hand upon his shoulder. "You often forget that you also have Eren, Mikasa, and Armin to keep you company, you know? Come on. You're the only person who can take on this assignment."

Levi continued to stare at Xora's serene, sleeping face for a few lost moments, but he stood.

"Alright," he finally agreed, exhaling a heavy sigh. He followed Hange as she trekked to the data room. There, he found the two Betas working on a project together as Mikasa fiddled with the control panel. Sinking into one of the chairs by the table, Levi rested his head on his forearms in defeat.

"Captain?" came Eren's voice as he approached Levi. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," Levi responded curtly. "Worry not. We have things we need to get done. For the past few weeks, we've been doing nothing but slacking—I've been slacking."

"Lighten up a bit, will ya?" Hange joked, rolling her eyes. "Don't be so hard on yourself, Levi. You're grieving. I'm the only one who gets to be hard on you. But I digress; for tonight's assignment, you're going out on the field. There is only so little I can do from behind a computer screen; I've already prepared a disguise for you, although it's not that different from your usual."

Levi raised his head and looked at her with an expression of indifference, but his voice was light. "No fake tattoos? Or piercings? That's unlike you, shitty four-eyes."

"You should've seen—" Eren started, but he cut himself off abruptly and looked down at his feet.

"What is it, Eren?" Mikasa inquired, placing a hand on his arm.

Eren shrugged her arm away. "You should've seen the way Archangel looked at you with your disguise, Captain." [huehuehue it wasn't just Xora ;)]

Levi amusedly raised an eyebrow, murmuring a curious, "Oh? Is that so?"

"Anyhow!" Hange interrupted, sliding the folded pile of a crisp suit across the table to Levi. "I want you to visit that antique shop, Levi. The one in the town you and Archangel visited awhile ago. Your job, this time, is to talk to Piquet, and squeeze out any information about the Mona Lisa out of him. Don't blow your cover. If it's possible, try to give him some truth serum. I really don't know how you'll get the opportunity to do that, but if you find one, take it."

"That's all?" Levi questioned, again raising a brow. "Usually you've got some crazy, bullshit plan that'll end up in some kind of heist."

The genius snorted. "Well, not this time."