TWENTY THREE ; EREBOR

¤¤¤

¤¤¤

Although fire had been surging all around her, the bitter coldness of the water had sent Magauna into shock. She felt frozen for several moments and didn't move, sinking into the water, until a pair of hands found her, and she was pulled to the surface.

The Half-Elf sputtered and coughed up water. Her vision was blurry, but she could see enough to tell that Bard had been the one to pull her to the surface. Together, the two of them and Bain swam to what looked to be the remains of a house.

They all lay there for a few minutes, teeth chattering, and bodies shivering violently. It was several moments before either one of them spoke, and it was only a single sentence. Bard had suggested they find a way out of the ruined town and make it to the distant shore of Dale. Magauna and Bain only mumbled their replies of agreement.

The three of them soon found a discarded and abandoned boat nearby, which they took for their own and used to leave the ruins, the smoldering city of Laketown simmering like a campfire behind them.

Early morning was on the raise by the time they reached the shore where the town's survivors had taken refuge. It was there that Magauna split up from the men. Waving quick goodbyes, thanks, and good-lucks, they headed off in different directions to find who they desired.

It took a while until Magauna found a quartet of bustling Dwarves at the waterline, arguing over whether or not they should stay or leave for Erebor. It was Tauriel who saw her first, and breathed a discreet sigh of relief upon Magauna's appearance.

"I mis verya -o tye, Peredhel." Tauriel said.

(That was brave of you, Half-Elf.)

Magauna just smiled slightly. "Ha mis olk par thel-?" She tried, shrugging.

(It wasn't on purpose?)

Hearing her familiar voice, the Dwarves all turned to see her standing with Tauriel. Then, as if they were all reuniting all over, they embraced her with hugs of relief, which she gratefully returned.

It had been settled after that; they would leave for Erebor right then. They found a small boat and began to prepare it at the water's edge.

While they waited for Nori and Bofur to prepare the boat, Magauna and Fili sat next to each other on the shore. Kili had gone up to Tauriel, and the two of them spoke about which that Magauna couldn't hear. She wasn't focused on them anyway. The Half-Elf had discovered a rather painful burn on her wrist.

She gingerly wrapped the piece of cloth around her wrist, swerving to avoid Fili's touch. "I'm fine, Fili, I promise."

Magauna looked up again. Kili was still conversing Tauriel. The Half-Elf had a great, strong feeling that she knew what Kili was telling her. Magauna watched them for a moment until she saw someone appear behind them.