Chapter 18 - A Platonic Deal

It has already been one week since Marinette found her mother's notes. Ever since she has been searching for answers in any book she could just find. So far, her research was useless. She read all the historical books she found in the library's ancient book section, all the notes, and scrolls about Paris and its foundation. But nothing. None of them had written about "Soul of Paris".

Mari wasn't expecting to find it so easily though. She wasn't even sure if she could find any clue about it here in the Palace. Rereading Sabine's notes over and over again, she could tell that her mother probably had been searching for answers for a long time and only found the solution when..

".. When she probably died saving us." this thought of hers had been echoing in her mind for the whole week, causing her several sleepless nights.

Those letters changed everything but at the same time, they didn't make any sense to her. Even though Tikki said there must be something else in Paris besides Hawkmoth, Mari was uncertain. Since the day, she had become Ladybug, there was no one else who she had to fight against but Hawkmoth and his akumas.

She was almost certain that whatever creature tortured the city and her mother, would be already gone for good. She was almost sure about it.

Almost.

This day seemed to go like the previous days during the week. She had already finished her regular studies - she had to take extra dance lessons to make her balance better since the last time she had danced, she once again felt - and was just about to go check the library for her search when Natalie rushed to her saying that the dinner would be starting soon.

Mari completely forgot that her father had planned this "meeting" tonight with Félix and Amelie. She immediately ran back to her room to change into a more appropriate dress and as she was hurrying up through the halls, she was hoping her father wouldn't be so mad at her for being late.

When the guards opened the door for her, stepping in - she immediately spotted Félix. Avoiding his gaze - she let out a frustrated sigh. It was the first time she had seen him since the announcement. And not only she was about to face her "fiancé" - this thought still made her dizzy - but they were even ordered to have dinner together with their parents.

"Well, this is gonna be extremely awkward," she stated to herself as she made her way to the king. After apologizing in front of Gabriel - luckily for her, he didn't point out her late arrival - she sat down.

Crossing her arms, she leaned back on her chair and sent a death glare in his father's way - letting him know how much she was "fond of" this dinner idea of his.

Gabriel didn't seem to notice or rather, care about Marinette's feelings as he looked at her sternly.

"So, now that the Princess arrived," Amelie spoke up, "let's talk about the wedding!" she clasped her hands excitedly - not giving a damn about the tension between daughter and father.

Ignoring the youngsters' reaction to this suggestion - they both sent Amelie their death glare - the two parents started to plan the wedding.

"Since the engagement is already official - as I announced it this morning - I think it's only wise if we make the marriage happen as soon as possible. I don't see the point to wait until December." Gabriel said with a cold tone that Marinette had already been too familiar with. He only spoke this way when he discussed business he has absolutely no interest in.

"I completely agree with you, my king!" Amelie said enthusiastically - though Mari could feel it was all an act.

"Glad to know we think alike," Gabriel smirked, "In my opinion, it would be the most beneficial to hold it at the Summer Farewell event. Not only will it be grandiose but - considering that the South Kingdom's royals would be there - it would be the perfect time for diplomatic meetings to happen and..