Estella was with Kiara, Bonnie, Elena and Matt outside of Caroline's house. It was her birthday and she didn't show up at school so they went to hers.

When Caroline walked in and puts her stuff down, they all jumped out with balloons, party hats and a sign. 

"Happy Birthday!!" they all yelled in surprise.

"What are you guys doing here?" Caroline asked after calming down from the fright. "Well you blew off school and missed our work of birthday art, so" Elena takes off the crown she was wearing and places it on the blonde's head.

"Change into warmer clothes, we are going to the Falls. S'mores, camp fire" she continued. 

"Cake! Like when we were little." Bonnie said picking up the box she brought. "Except for the tequila!" Matt included lifting the bottle.

"And with the both of us" Estella wrapped her hands around Kiara both smiling at their friend.

Caroline smiled but it didn't really reach her eyes, "Thanks, guys. Really, um, I'm just not feeling my birthday this year."

"I'm sorry, what? You've already claimed your birthday as everyone's favourite day of the year." Bonnie says looking in confusion at her friend's sadness.

"Yeah, and now, it's just a reminder that technically, I'm dead. Look, I didn't even like 17. And the only point to being 17 is to get to 18. It's a filler year; I'm stuck in a filler year."

Kiara stepped forward, she was technically dead too, so she understood. "You're not stuck, Care. You are simply starting another chapter in your life."

"Yeah I am, but it's okay. You know, it's all good, I'll be fine. But I just need some time to wallow in it." Caroline said still not convinced.

"Well I think I have another idea." Elena said making them all look at her in question.

Turns out Elena's idea of cheering up Caroline was to come to the Fell Crypt. 

"There it is!"

"This is creepy, even for us" Bonnie said shivering slightly being in a cemetery.

"No, Caroline was right, technically, she's dead. Sorry. But you don't need a birthday, you need a funeral. You need to say goodbye to your old life, so that you can move on with your new one."

Caroline smiles at the thoughtfulness before speaking up, "Okay. Here lies Caroline Forbes."

"Cheerleader, Miss Mystic Falls, third grade hopscotch champion..." Elena continued as she put candles on the cake. 

"Friend, daughter, overachiever..." Bonnie said as well.

"Family, love of my life" Estella added whilst playfully winking at her making Caroline laugh.

"Best welcoming person I have ever had." Kiara included earning a bright smile.

 "Mean girl, sometimes, no offense." Matt says whilst Caroline just rolled her eyes, "None, taken."

"She was 17, and she had a really good life. So rest in peace, so that she can move forward."