unforeseen circumstANTs

"Hello, (Y/n)," Kennedy said coldly.

"Hi, Kennedy. What's up?" I smiled kindly at the girl.

"Do you know if Fletcher is dating anyone?" Kennedy asked.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "He is. Why?"

"Because he seems attractive. And to help my campaign, it would look better if I had a male significant other," Kennedy explained. "Fletcher seems lonely and could never get a girlfriend, so I was asking because you seem to be close."

"Listen. One, never use people for your popularity and an election that's not going to happen for another twenty-one years. And two, yes, Fletcher is dating someone. Me," I explained, my smile falling.

"Oh. I see. Very well." Kennedy walked off.

"What did the debate prodigy want?" Nick asked, walking over to me.

"She wanted to use Fletcher for her campaign," I said. "And by use, I mean date."

"Not going to happen," Nick answered.

"Exactly," I agreed as I pressed the button for the auditorium.

~~~

"Okay, what's up with Kennedy?" Chyna asked, walking up to me.

"She likes Fletcher," I said, continuing to draw on my ZPad.

Chyna's eyes widened. "I know, right? And the worst part is, she tried to make an advancement earlier today."

"How do you know?" Olive asked, sitting down next to me.

"Fletcher told me. He was very uncomfortable," I mumbled, looking around to make sure Kennedy wasn't there.

Arms wrapped around me, and hot breath hit my ear. "Can we go back to your dorm, lock the door, and you can hold me until your heart's content?"

I nodded. "Go back to my room. I'll see you in a minute."

Fletcher ran off, pressing the button on the pad for the dorms. He went in, and thankfully, the elevator doors stayed open. I turned back to the girls. "Look. Fletcher's birthday is coming up, and it has to be perfect. Start brainstorming in the group chat. I'll be on."

I left. Fletcher was already curled into my bed when I got there. I sat on the bed, and Fletcher moved so that his head was on my chest. I did lock the door when I got into the room. Fletcher's heartbeat slowed down, and he was in a half-sleep daze as I played with his hair.

~~~

We were planning a surprise party for Fletcher. An unforeseen circumstance party. Fletcher hated the word surprise. And balloons. And streamers. Thankfully, I remembered when I was talking with Chyna.

I already took him out to dinner, and now we were on the roof. Fletcher had his arm around my waist, and we were staring at the stars. Fletcher kissed my cheek, making me look at him. He positioned me, and we waltzed to no music. I was surprised he knew how to, but it made him cuter.

His phone went off, and he pulled away to check the text. He stared at his phone for a moment. He looked up at me with hurt in his eyes. I panicked. I didn't want anything to ruin tonight. What could possibly...

"Breaking up with me on my birthday, (Y/n)?" Fletcher questioned. He walked out of the balcony without another word.

Tears formed in my eyes, and I stifled my sobs as my tears fell hundreds of feet from my face to the ground. How could he possibly think that I was going to do that? My makeup and unforeseen circumstance for Fletcher was ruined.

~~~

"What happened?" Chyna asked, coming into my room.

"You is what happened!" I snapped, startling her.

"Why does everybody hate me today?" Chyna questioned in disbelief.

"I would never think about breaking up with Fletcher, and then you send him a text saying I was going to?" My eyes were red as I wiped them clean. "I always knew you liked Fletcher, but I can't believe you would do this."

"Look, I didn't even know where my phone was the night of the party-"

"Save it, Chyna." I stood up, glaring at the girl. "Thanks to you, the guy I've been with for months doesn't even want to be near me. Go get him for all I care. But I'm definitely done with this conversation, and our friendship."

~~~

"Kennedy, what did you do?"

I looked over at the commotion. Fletcher was glaring at the girl in front of him. I was sitting in one chair at a table, seeming to be the only one who noticed the fight. Maybe it was because I wanted to hear that voice call me silly nicknames again.

"I didn't do anything, Fletchy," Kennedy said innocently.

"Then why do you have Chyna's phone?" Fletcher asked.

My eyes widened. Kennedy stammered. "She—She left it on the couch over there and I was going to bring it back to her."

"You just came from the lounge. I'm dumb, but I'm not that dumb to realize what's going on," Fletcher said. "You sent the text, didn't you?"

"I want us to be a couple, Fletcher. And by doing that, I made a few sacrifices. You and I would make a great couple, and I could show the world how likable I am-"

"You're so selfish," Fletcher cut her off. "Chyna and (Y/n) aren't talking to each other because of you, and you broke the heart of the girl I've loved since I laid eyes on her."

My heart throbbed at the last part. "You were going to use me so you could win some stupid campaign. Thanks for ruining my birthday, Kennedy."

Kennedy stomped away, stifling a sob. Fletcher stared at me. He was waiting for a reaction. I got down from the chair after he took a step towards me. He hugged me tightly. I didn't push away.

"I hate it when you cry, angel."