silANT night

"Okay, Chyna, your turn to open your secret Santa gift," Mr. Grundy said, handing her the box.

Chyna opened the box. She pulled out a giant book. "Font-Tastic: An Unabridged History of Typefaces in the Post-Gutenbergian Age, Volume One. Thank you, Olive."

"Actually, it was from me. Olive gave it to me last year," Fletcher explained as we were handed our presents.

"Chyna, if you get me next year, I would really like that," Olive hinted.

"What is this? Some kind of stink rock?" Angus questioned, holding a rock in his hands that didn't look like a rock.

Fletcher opened his present. His eyes widened. He then grinned. "Woah. I've always wanted these."

"What are they?" Chyna asked curiously.

"They're these really nice colored pencils. I've seen some MeTubers work with them online. They make it look like you printed the drawing," Fletcher explained. "But these are really expensive. It's well over the number we were given."

"I wonder." I quickly opened my gift, wanting to change the subject. I smiled and held up the game. "Just Dance 3! Thanks, Olive."

"Well, I'm sure my Secret Santa gift is going to be great. Because Paisley's my secret Santa and I told her what to get me!" Lexi explained. "What took you so long, Paisley? I don't pay you to dillydally."

"Uh, Lexi, Paisley works for Z-Tech, not for you," Mr. Grundy reminded her.

"Weren't you listening? I just said I don't pay her," Lexi corrected him.

"Neither does Mr. Grundy. He just gives me these funny little pieces of paper with his autograph on them," Paisley explained, holding up a check. "I'm saving them in a shoe box, because maybe when he's dead they'll be worth something!"

"Anyway, this is the world's most powerful and advanced hair dryer," Lexi revealed. "The Dragon's Breath Pro Series Five!"

"I wouldn't plug that in!" I warned.

"We're already drawing a lot of power for the Christmas tree," Olive agreed.

"It'll be fine." Lexi rolled her eyes. She blow-dried her hair, even though it was already dry. The hair dryer turned off automatically. "See?"

"Whoo-hoo! A teeny little menorah candle," Seth said. He plugged it in, and the power went out.

"Oy vey."

~~~

I got out of the building before I realized it shut down. I was relieved. Teresa, Nick, Maddie, and Grayson got out soon after. We were dancing for a local group, raising money for an orphanage.

We danced to a remix Maddie made. It was filled with classic Christmas songs with a little more of a kick to it. I realized we were being recorded halfway through. We kicked it up a notch, wanting to look good to the world.

We finished, and the crowd went wild. I was handed a microphone by a member of the stage crew. I smiled at my sweaty friends. The crowd was cheering for us. And we were proud of our show.

"Hello, Palo Alto." The crowd cheered. "Merry Christmas. I'm sorry if we offended anyone, but when has dance not upset someone?" The crowd laughed. "We're the Beats. We're a quintet from Z-Tech Prodigy School."

"She's the dance prodigy!" Maddie shouted.

The crowd laughed again.

"Anyway, we just want to say thank you for coming out and supporting our small group and the orphanage that the money you spent is going toward. We now know that we have a talent people want to see, and not just our parents who want to show off to our grandparents who compete with their siblings who has the better child. Good night, Palo Alto!"

~~~

"Sweetie!"

"Yeah?" I smiled when I saw Fletcher with his suitcase. My parents were going to take him home. I walked out, carrying the small tote bag I had when I first came to the school. I only needed a few things I could fit in the average bag.

"What's-"

"Ha! You're under the mistletoe," Fletcher teased.

I smiled and kissed him softly. It shut him up quickly. My mind was buzzing, and I registered nothing until I needed to pull away for air. Fletcher connected our foreheads, making me smile. He kissed my forehead before we walked out of Z-Tech together.