06. 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔣𝔩𝔢𝔞 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔞𝔠𝔯𝔬𝔟𝔞𝔱

Jonathan and Y/n walked out of their bedrooms side by side, silence coating the thick air

Jonathan and Y/n walked out of their bedrooms side by side, silence coating the thick air. The only sound seemed to be the creaking beneath the siblings feet from the decaying floorboards.

The unspoken topic of what had occurred yesterday with Y/n burned the back of their minds yet no one really brought it up. Y/n didn't say what happened, she didn't know how to explain it to them, not that she even cared to.

Since this all started, Y/n would always just feel the stares of everyone beaming into every little pore face. She just thought it was pity. But what Y/n Byers didn't know was the looks from her family and friends, weren't full of pity. They all cared, they all cared so much. They worried too, more than she could ever know.

Suddenly, a voice snapped Y/n out of her thoughts. It came from the livingroom. It was an all too familiar voice. "Hey, kids." Jonathan and Y/n froze right in place, turning their heads to Lonnie in almost unison.

There sat Lonnie Byers on the dingy old couch, his arm wrapped around Joyce's shoulder as a a silent tear rolled down her cheek. Upon seeing that her children were there, she quickly wiped her tears, forcing a smile to them. Although, Jonathan and Y/n weren't too pleased by what they were seeing before them.

Y/n scoffed under her breath, crossing her arms as she glared daggers at Lonnie, "Why are you here?" The words rolled off her tongue like straight poison.

"Now, that's no way to talk to your father." Lonnie shot at her, not exactly knowing what else to say. Y/n's mouth popped open as she prepared herself to snap at him when Jonathan interrupted the interaction.

"What's going on?" Jonathan asked, his eyes flickering from Lonnie to his mom. His voice matched Y/n's amount of confusion and anger towards the situation.

"Your dad's, uh, gonna stay here tonight. O-On the couch." Joyce spoke up, her voice hushed and teary. She tried to stay calm, hoping Jonathan and Y/n would be calm about it too but oh, was she wrong.

"Yeah, I'm here as long as you need me, okay? How are you kids holding up?" Lonnie rubbed Joyce's back as he looked to them. Y/n flared her nostrils with enragement. She hated the thought of her father – who never even tried to help or even call them when Will went missing – staying under the same roof as her.

Her and Jonathan locked eyes, exchanging the same look. They both knew they were thinking the same thing and they both knew exactly why he was even there; for the money that they would be getting from Sattler; the people that own the quarry.

Jonathan, suddenly, turned away from Y/n and rushed over to the wall where a navy blue colored blanket was hung up. He lifted it up to reveal a hole in the wall, turning to his mom. "What happened?"