Little Roses

[It was time. Marc was on his way over, one to have dinner, and two, to meet the boss. Will he screw this chance up like others before him?]
[Word Count: 1974]
***
The kitchen had been in full use for the entire day. I hadn't taken a break in the midst of preparing for tonight. This was one of the most important nights anyone could ever anticipate and it had to be perfect.

I jumped upon hearing the doorbell.

He's here.

I wiped my hands onto my apron, quickly untying it and removing the strap over my head. With a hurried gait, I rushed into the hallway, pausing momentarily to check my reflection.

With a groan, I rubbed at a stubborn spot of flour on my cheek, followed by fluffing my curls to rejuvenate them. Then, I headed for the front door, not being able to wait a moment longer.

I unlocked the front door and opened it, revealing the man that made my heart skip a beat and took my breath away. He looked ravishing in his white button-up shirt and his cuffs rolled to his elbows. His hair had been recently washed, as proven by his slightly damp curls that were peeking over his forehead.

"Hi, Marc..." I timidly said suddenly feeling nervous about the reason he was at my front door.

His dazzling smile spread wide as he spoke, "Hey baby." He replied, leaning in to kiss my blushed cheek. Both of his arms were behind his back, as if he were hiding something from me.

He noticed the curiosity in my gaze and revealed his right hand which housed a beautiful bouquet of my favorite flowers. "Oh, Marc! Thank you, they're beautiful..." I cooed, accepting them from his offering hand.

I walked further into the hallway, allowing him to also enter and close the door behind him. He locked it as if he had done it a hundred times before. As if domestic living was natural to him.

He looked towards me and I noticed slight perspiration on his forehead. Was he nervous as I was?

The past six months with Marc were some of the better times in my life that I chose to embrace. He was aware of my past, of my constant struggle with trusting people, and my hesitancy of letting them enter my life. Becoming an essential piece of my life required that someone gained my trust before entering my home, my most inner sanctum of refuge.

And before meeting the most precious treasure of my life.

But I trusted Marc more than anyone in the world.

I bit my lip, my hands shaking in thinking about how the next few moments would go. This could be the start of a beautiful life, or the end of another failed relationship. "Are you ready, Marc?"

He wiped his hand on his trousers, keeping his other still behind his back. "Are you ready? Are you sure you're okay with this?"

I nodded, knowing that it was finally time. I guided him down the hallway until we stopped in front of a specific door. Behind this door was the reason of my existence, the jewel of my heart, and my first experience with the purest form of love.

He waited for me to be ready, his kind smile encouraging to finally let him into the most private part of my life.

Turning the handle carefully, I attempted to not disturb her quiet time. She always looked forward to the time of the day where she could pull every book from her miniature bookshelves and spread them onto the floor, reading and admiring every picture.