Let Me Down Slowly : Hopelessly Unaware

Summary :

“I'll be home late, don't wait up”

When we fall in love, we only see what we want to.

_★彡

A mop of brown hair lay flat against the marble counter, two arms propped on top of it on either side of his head. The uncomfortable position the sleeping male was in was the very least of Heeseung's problems as he trudged across the room, placed his keys on the holder near the light switch and stood in front of his husband, his hands rested on his hips as he examined his peaceful state.

How do I carry him up without waking him up?, he thought as he got a hold of one of his arms and lifted it gently.

One.

Two.

Three.

He awkwardly managed to carry him, one arm placed behind his back and the other holding the back of both his knees.

Heeseung slowly managed to walk up the flight of stairs and only then did the real problem emerge.

How do I open the door without hitting his head against it?

He thought for a moment before he decided to use his elbow.

Almost there, just gotta-

The younger stirred in his hold, he froze. He waited for a little while, ignoring the light throbbing he felt on his elbow and stared intently as the younger got a hold of the fabric of his shirt and squeezed it tightly. Only when he was certain that his movements hadn't woken him up, he pushed the door open and placed him gently onto their bed.

Heeseung made sure to tuck him in, removing his large, fluffy cat bedroom slippers before he settled his head onto one of the pillows, all in awkward movements with how tight Jay's grip on his shirt was. He quietly watched him for a bit, finger thumbing over the back of his hand in a soothing manner. His gaze was intense and his eyebrows furrowed upwards.

I don't know what to do.

How do I tell him?

Heeseung suddenly blinked rapidly and shook his head in an attempt to break his train of though, not the time to think about these things. Carefully, he managed to pry Jay's fingers loose and his hand fell limp at his side.

He sighed out in relief, now to get out of these clothes, he stood up slowly, eyes trained on the sleeping male and turned his body towards the bathroom door.

"Hyung?", a soft raspy whisper called out to him.

"Hmm?"

"Come here", Jay pouted as he tried to open his eyes.

"I gotta change babe, I'll be back soon", he said as he slowed down.

"No", he whined tiredly, eyes stinging, "come here", and who was Heeseung to refuse?

Jay pulled his body down and snuggled into Heeseung's side as he continued to fidget, trying to find a more comfortable position.

"You good babe?"

"Mhm, I'm just a little tired", he yawned.

"Why'd you stay up late then? You almost fell off the counter", a light chuckle fell from the older's lips.

"I was waiting for you", his breath tickled against his neck.

"But I told you not to"

"I know, I just wanted to. I missed you. I've been missing you and it's not helping if you come home late"

"Me too, missed you so much, been busy"

"What were you even doing so late anyway You can't really be that busy, can you? Hope you're not thinking about working too late again"

"Umm..just get some sleep", he lifted his body a bit to give his forehead a little peck, "You seem really tired. We'll talk about it in the morning, 'kay?"

"Okay"

Jay snuggled closer, his nose rubbed gently against his neck.

"You smell...", he snuggled even closer if that was even possible, "You smell like...like lavender"

Heeseung froze.

Lavender..

"G'night hyungie, I love you so much..", and soon he drifted off into slumber.

Heeseung lay tense and unmoving, the only thing that kept him conscious of his surroundings were the soft sighs that came from his husband's mouth and the feel of his heart thrumming against his own.

He smells like lavender.

He held onto him tighter, a way to ground him.

This should never happen again.

"I love you too Jongseong"

He didn't know why he sounded like that, like it was strained, like he hadn't said it a million times, like he hadn't said it for years without a sign of doubt. Never had he hesitated, 'til now.

Why?

He looked at his sleeping husband wearily, his eyebrows curved up with a feeling so foreign to him, something he'd never thought he would ever feel when Jay was involved.

What is this?

"I love you..",

A whisper,

Some reassurance,

But why? It was as if he were trying to persuade himself.

This doesn't feel right.

_★彡

• a little insight, maybe a hint of foreshadowing.

• sorry for the late update, I hope they won't be too irregular, school's starting again in two days.