Chapter 12: Leaving the Fire Nation

The sun was just rising over the horizon on the morning of the first official day of his banishment when Zuko left the palace infirmary with Iroh, whom Zuko was relieved never questioned the bag he had pulled out from under his cot. The walk to the palace courtyard was uneventful. There were no formal goodbyes as there were when General Iroh set out on an overseas mission. The palace halls were empty of all but a few servants. The burning pain from Zuko's injury continued to plague him as he walked through the palace, but the pain he felt by his father's absence stung deeper. He did not even make a formal appearance as Fire Lord to bid him farewell or good luck. Azula, too, was nowhere to be seen—or so he thought. He did not know it, but she was carefully peering from a window watching him as he exited the palace. Days earlier she wore a wicked grin as she watched their father burn him in the Agni Kai chamber, but today there was no grin, only a solemn expression.

Sitting in the carriage, Zuko took one last look at the palace that had been his home for the last couple years before facing forward towards a new destiny.

After arriving at the First Lord's Harbor, Iroh and Zuko walked down the dock where the younger prince's wide eyes stared up at the Fire Nation cruiser he was to command. It was old, outdated, and much smaller than the current ships of the navy, but it was all Ozai would approve when Iroh had made the urgent request to the Naval Commander.

"It may not look like much," said Iroh as they boarded, "but it will serve your purpose."

"It's perfect, Uncle," said Zuko who was impressed that it was his to take on his search for the Avatar.

Two days earlier he had lost everything, but now he had a ship at his command that could help him gain it all back.

"General Iroh, Prince Zuko," greeted Lieutenant Jee bowing to them. "It's an honor to have you aboard, sir."

"It's my pleasure to be here, Lieutenant Jee," said Iroh. "I appreciate you and your crew taking this assignment on such short notice."

They took a tour of the ship. Zuko was amazed to find that Iroh had made sure there were komodo rhinos, an armory of weapons, and two riverboats stored in the hold. He met the crew which included several firebenders and non-benders, and he had a cook and a medic.

While the crew was performing their final preparations before setting sail, Zuko and Iroh stood on the deck gazing out at the sea beyond the harbor. Iroh looked at him.

"What do you think, Nephew?"

"I think I'll be able to find the Avatar," he said confidently. His golden eye glanced up at Iroh. "Thank you, Uncle."

"You're quite welcome," he smiled.

-------------------------------------

An hour later, Ezih arrived at the dock with Iroh's bags and Chiara by his side. Iroh was there to meet with them when they boarded the ship.

"We're going to miss you, General," said Ezih.

"I'll miss you as well," he said. He looked at Jee. "Lieutenant Jee, you remember my daughter Chiara?"

"Of course," he said. "Lady Chiara, you've grown since I last saw you."

"Lieutenant Jee," she greeted him as she bowed. "It's good to see you again."

He smiled at her manners.

"If I may ask, Lieutenant," she said, "where is Prince Zuko?"

"He's in his quarters." He gave her the directions.

She looked at Iroh. "General?"

"You may go," he said.

"Lady Chiara," said Ezih before she could walk off.