Part 11

I leaned against the hood of the Impala, looking over the cemetery where Mary Winchester's headstone was. John had refused to come here the one time I had suggested it, and it seemed like Dean had the same feelings about it as John had. He wandered off, looking at all the graves but his mother's. His frame paces the rows of organized headstones a few rows over while Sam, on the other hand, hunched over and digging in the grass by Mary's stone. 

John had told me that there wasn't anything to bury. The stone was simply put there as a reminder by some relative. I squinted my eyes and noticed Sam put down dog tags into the small hole he had dug and then started to fill it up. 

I bit my lip and tried to focus on something else. The only thing I had to remind me of my friend was one of his old flannels that exadentally had ended up in my bag. It had happened before; we usually packed in a hurry to leave and just grabbed whatever was closest, knowing it would all end up in the same place later anyways. 

Dean had stopped pacing, and when I looked over, he observed a dead tree. Slightly tilting my head, trying to understand what he was doing, I watched as he knocked on the trunk and backed away a few steps. Curious to find out what had piqued his interest, I walked over and took a look myself. 

Dean didn't acknowledge my presence. He bent down over a grave, and I noted the dead flowers on it over his shoulder. I turned my head down and noticed that the grass was dead too. The perfect circle of dead plants was a stark contrast to the warm green of the healthy grass around it. 

"Unholy ground?" I asked, and not until then did Dean look at me. He hummed quietly as a response. "Who's buried here?"

I let my eyes flash across, looking for a headstone but only found a temporary sign, meaning the grave wasn't that old.

"Doesn't say," Dean stood up and looked around the cemetery. "Think you can find out?"

I smirked, "Of course."

We walked back to the car a little while later, meeting Sam halfway. Dean took the computer from my hands, ready to explain what we had found.

"Angela Mason. She was a student at the local college; funeral was three days ago."

"And?" the younger Winchester asked, confused.

"And? You saw her grave. Everything dead around it, in a perfect circle? You don't think that's a little weird?" Dean furrowed his brows and looked at his younger brother. 

"Maybe the groundskeeper went a little aggro with the pesticide." Sam looked back at me, walking behind them, and I softly shook my head.

"I looked into it, no pesticides, no chemicals, no explanation. And it's not just the grass, it's the tree, even the flowers on the grave died," I explained.

"Okay, so what are you thinking?" Sam asked and looked back at his brother.

"I dunno. Unholy ground, maybe?" 

"Un--" Sam stopped and gave Dean a look of disbelief before looking at me once again. "You going along with this?" 

I shrugged. It seemed weird to me, didn't have to mean anything, though. It's just that there was something in my gut that told me to find out what was going on. I'd rather be thurrow.

"What? If something evil happened there, it could easily poison the ground. Remember the, the farm outside of Cedar Rapids?" Dean continued.

"Yeah, b-"

"Could be the sign of a demonic presence. Or the, the Angela girl's spirit, if it's powerful enough." Sam did not look convinced. He raised his brows like his brother had lost it and continued ahead to the car. Dean looked at me like it was my fault that Sam didn't think anything of it, before rolling his eyes and going after him. "Well, don't get too excited, you might pull something."