Chapter Thirty-Four: Tearful Goodbyes

The Front door slams open making Katie peak her head out of the kitchen. Melina was standing there looking like she was about to either cry or punch someone, maybe even both. Dom comes jogging down the stairs, alerted by the door slamming.

"Melina whats wrong?" He asks, concerned for her. Katie ducks her head back into the Kitchen out of Melina's view, listening all the while.

"IS it True? Is she moving to Tokyo?" She hears her exclaim, tears hiding in every word. Katie's heart breaks for her friend. She was leaving her all alone, she ventures out of the kitchen and walks into the front room. As soon as Melina spies her she bursts into tears and as she threw her arms around Katie's neck, Katie was surprised to find Tears streaming down her own face. "You can't leave me! We had plans for Graduation! and for college! You can't leave now!" she cries, soaking Katie's shoulder. Dom eases back up the stairs to give the two girls privacy. Katie holds her best friend close, hugging her with all her strength.

" I have to Lina, I can't stay here." She whispers into her friends Blonde hair, "There are too many memories and too much Temptation, You have to understand." She says pulling her friend at arms length. She studies Melina as she wrestles with the knowing it was the right thing and her desire to beg her not to go. In the end she hung her head and sagged against Katie, knowing she was speaking the truth.

"You know I do, When do you leave?" She asks, her voice filled with sadness and defeat. The two girls head into the livingroom, unaware of Han standing at the top of the stairs, holding his breath wanting to know the answer to that question as much as Melina. He creeps down the stairs as quietly as they would let him and pressed flat against the archway frame to the livingroom.

" I talked to Shawn last night and we figured that the sooner the better, I'm leaving in two days." She says. All breath leaves Han, he feels like he has been punched in the stomach. In two days he would be losing the girl he was so desperately in love with, and it was all his fault, if he hadn't walked out on her she wouldn't be running away. He hears Melina burst into muffled sobs and know that the two were clinging to eachother, tears of his own pricked at his eyes. He wipes his face and breaks away to his room, unable to stand the sorrow that was suffocating the area.

Katie held onto Melina as she cried again, she cried with her, cried for all the things they wouldn't do anymore. The Random drives to nowhere just because they could, chilling in Katie's room blasted music and painting their nails, making fun of Dom and the others, Hanging out at the Edge which had become their newest thing to do in the two weeks she had been back from the hospital. She wouldn't have her best friend to call up when she needed to vent about Han. They wouldn't be walking across the stage getting their diploma together and going to the university and being roommates. She clings to her best friend, pulling her closer as the realization of what she was losing fully hits her. She was losing connection to her sister. She pulls Melina away from her and holds her face in her hands, staring into her bright blue eyes.

"Melina just because I am leaving does NOT mean we will stop being friends do you hear me? You are my sister, We will find a way to stay in touch OK? I will write you a million letters if that's what it takes, I Will demand Dom to let you use his phone so you can call me even if its midnight there and early morning here. Do you understand me?" She asks her with force desperate for her to know, "We will Always be friends, this little bump in the road wont stop us." She says. Melina's tears start to dry as she gives her a weak but confident smile.

"You're not going to live there forever right? we are still getting a place together in the future." She asks with a shy but hopeful tone. Katie smiles through her tears and laughs.

"Hell yeah we are, It'll just have to be later on." She says grinning at her. Melina sticks her tongue out at her and like that the two friends were laughing, chasing away their sadness with laughter. Dom comes into the room and seeing them laugh grins at them shaking his head. "What are you shaking you're head at Dom? have you never seen two teenage girls laughing for no reason." she says between giggles, making Dom laugh he deep booming laugh. He jumps onto the couch and pulls her in for a noogy, making her squeal.