Chapter Thirty-Six: Uwabaki

Katie Clings to Twinkie as the underground train zips along. It was her first day of school and she was Terrified, a language she didn't understand, new students who would look down upon her, she had begged Shawn to home school her but he just laughed and told her if he could do it so could she. Twinkie had felt bad for her and offered to take her on her first day, since the school she was going to was where he and Shawn had graduated. All around them were teenagers Around her age, looking at her with curiosity, a few smiled at her and a few others tried to talk to her but when they realized she didn't speak the language they all left her along. Twinkie wrapped a protective arm around her and let her curl up into his side. He looked at her in shock when he realized she was trembling badly, her anxiety skyrocketing.

"Hey you OK?" he whispers to her moving so he could face her. She looks at him and smiles, almost struck by the genuine concern she saw in his black eyes. Today he was wearing a red and white doo rag that matched his red jersey and dark blue jeans, his style so different from the muscle shirts and cotton polo's she was use to in the states, it was refreshing. She sticks her tongue out at him making him laugh, "Alright Alright you're OK. Can I ask you something?" He says growing serious, something she was already learning was a rare thing for him. She sits up and gives him a wary look before nodding. He blushes and looks down. "don't be offended, but how bad is that anxiety of yours? I'm just curious." He asks looking up at her. She blushes a deep red and looks anywhere but him.

"It's pretty bad, especially when I am surrounded by people, mostly men that I don't know, When I don't feel safe it gets bad." She whispers. She feels his arms wrap around her and she jumps, looking at him in shock. He looks back at her with genuine kindness.

"Here," he says pushing her phone at her, "I programmed my number in it, in case you have an anxiety attack at school, just call me and I'll come get you OK? I know Shawn would tell you to suck it up, that's just him, but I understand how Anxiety attacks can leave someone upset afterwards." He explains, she opens her mouth to ask him if he had them but he shakes his head, knowing what she was going to say. "I don't have them but our friend... Han, he use to have them about his life in the states, I saw one once and it was Bad." He says his words like a slap in her face. No matter where she went Han's memory followed her. She smiles kindly at Twinkie, The kindness he was showing her she had only ever seen with Melina and the family. She suprises him as well as herself when she flings her arms around him in a huge hug, his arms circling around her and tightening. Snickers from the other kids has her breaking away, her blush reappearing. The kids snicker, some cat call as a man says something in Japanese to Twinkie and laughs, The only word she caught was 'Gaijin. Twinkies face reddens in anger,he snaps at the kids, his voice like a whip making Katie jump and yelp in fright. He stops and turns toward her his face written with apologies. "Sorry, you're lucking you don't understand, what they just said would have made you want to punch them." He says his voice still angry.

"What does Gaijin mean? It's the only word I caught." She asks him. His face reddens with anger again before leaning back in his seat, moving his arms so she could curl back up.

"It's an insult, a derogatory word for outsiders. Trust me you don't want to be called it, If Shawn had been here or even Neela, they would have beaten the shit out of them." He says, taking his free hand and running it over his rag covered head. "Oh Good we're here." He says jumping out of his seat, grabbing her hand and pulling her to hers. He keeps her hand in his and weaves in and out of the massive crowds in the station, finding the stairs leading them above ground, the icy smoke filled air a welcomed relief to her as she gulps in huge mouthfulls. Twinkie slows down and lets her get her bearings before holding out his hand again for her to hold. She looks at his hand for a few minutes before placing hers into it, her stomach fluttering when he closes his around hers and guides her to the school. It was a clean Cut white building four stories tall, neatly trimmed shrubbery along the outside of the building, just under the windows of the main offices. She stares up at the building feeling small and inadequate, here she was outside a very serious school that took pride in its academics and she was the type of student who passed her classes by the skin of her teeth. Twinkie looks at it in disgust and turns back to Katie, Her eyes wide as she looks at him. "Hey so remember, IF anything happens just give me a call OK?" He says sticking his hands in his pockets, giving her a smile.