in another life

you sat on the sofa, crying your eyes out. you couldn't believe you were actually leaving this country. you didn't want to, fuck, you really didn't want to. you didn't want to leave behind the love of your life, who was currently pacing his apartment.

"there must be some way right? please, you can't leave me." sam was on the verge of tears, he seemed absolutely distraught.

"sam, i have to. i have to go. i cant do anything about it." you replied shakily.

"fuck, i don't know how i'm gonna fucking cope without seeing you." he froze and stared at you. you wanted to stay with him forever.

you got up off the sofa and walked over to him. you engulfed him in a hug and he instantly returned it.

"please can we just stay like this. please, im begging you." his muffled cries spoke.

you shook your head, and sam must have felt it because he hugged you even tighter.

"i really, really don't fucking know how i'm going to even love without you. i mean fuck, you're going to be living on the other side of the fucking world." he pulled away and stared at you. he took in all your beauty for what felt like the last time.

"don't say that, we'll see each other again." you looked down at the ground. you knew this wasn't true.

"when? we're never going to see each other again. just admit it." he started to raise his voice and you flinched. you knew he didn't mean to shout.

you stayed quiet. you really did not know what you were going to say. you both knew this was the last time you were ever going to see each other. you were both so busy with work, you will never be able to make time for each other.

sam continued pacing the apartment, whilst you stood very still. you didn't want to move. if you moved, you thought you might fall to the ground. you didn't want to embarrass yourself.

"we're gonna find other people, i really don't want anybody else. i want you. only you."

"so do i sam. but.... we can't. we're both going to move on, you need to accept that." you stayed looking down at the ground.

he let out a laugh out of disbelief and shook his head.

"fuck." his face was buried in his hands, and his eyes were red and puffy from crying.

you didn't even want to think about what you looked like. you probably looked a complete mess.

you made your way over to the door, hinting that you needed to leave, when you felt a hand grab your wrist.

"are we really never gonna see each other?" he sounded genuine. like he really didn't know.

"yeah... we will," you opened the door and turned to face him.

"in another life."