Chapter Forty: Three Years Later

" Hendricks! Table Five is Dirty GO clean it!" Kyo Goya Yells. Katie Looks up from the sink and nods at her boss. She grabs the large bin and scurries out of the kitchen. When she reaches Table Five she sees that the people who had been sitting there, a family with two small children under the age of five, had left a large mess behind, lo main noodles and soy sauce scattered everywhere. Sighing she takes the towel out of the bin and gets to work cleaning up the mess, tossing the dishes into the bin with a crash. The simple work lets her mind wander.

It has been three years since She graduated High school, and all she had to be proud of was a high school diploma and a crappy bust "Boy" job at a dingy diner named Uncle Kyo's Diner. The Pay was good, in Us dollars it would could out to seven dollars and fifty cents, minimum wage. She sighs as she thinks of how her life had turned out. She has been clean and drug free for the past three years and she didn't have the urge to ever touch it again, she had a job, she had the diploma, her family was still loving and supporting. A thought brushes across her mind but she pushes it down not wanting to think about what it was she was missing. She quickly finishes cleaning the table and smiles as she stares at the now clean and shiny table, tossing the dirty rag into the bin with a satisfied smile. Checking the clock she grins bigger, her shift was over. Grabbing the bin she heads back to the kitchen, smiling at a little girl who waved at her.

"Kyo I'm out of here, See you Monday!" She shouts to her boss, and owner of the diner. Kyo grunts and just waves over his shoulder, not looking up from his desk in the back room. "Don't give yourself a headache looking at those figures." She teases. Kyo's shoulders shake up and down with his silent laugh.

"Goodnight Hendrick's have good weekend." he says in his booming voice. Katie smiles at his back and closes his office door. Going into the break room she grabs her purse out of her locker and heads out the back door, shuffling through her purse for her keys, it was then that her phone rang, The sound of We own it by 2 chainz shattering the quiet of the alleyway behind the diner. Katie freezes as the song washes over her, she hadn't heard that ring tone in almost three years. Quickly recovering she snatches her phone from the depths of her purse and presses accept before she can talk herself out of it.

"Han?" She says shakily.

"Kit?" Bryan's voice says, equally as shaky. Instantly ever nerve in her body was on high alert. she fishes her keys out and walks over to the red Evo, Shawn gave her as a graduation present, it was the old car he use to drift with.

"Bryan whats wrong? why do you have Han's phone?" She says as she turns the key in the door and slips in, tossing her bag onto the passenger side seat.

"there's been an accident, Han and Dom crashed the Civic, Han got away with minor injuries and a concussion, But Dom, He's in surgery, I think you should come home." He says, his voice showing his worry. All blood drains from her face as she lets his words sink in, Turning the car on she steps on the gas, backing out of the parking spot and peeling out of the alley.

"I'm just getting off work now, I'll call you back when I get home, I'll talk to Shawn, OK? I love you bro, bye." She says and shuts the phone, tossing it on the seat with her purse. She grips the steering wheel tightly until her knuckles turn white with strain. Dom, He was injured, in surgery. Tears leak out of her eyes as she thinks of her father figure, "Please let him be OK, Please." She prays to no one in particular. She speeds down the Highway heading toward the garage, saying the words over and over again like a mantra.

****************

"How was work, Woah Hun you OK?" Twinkie says as Katie slams the door to the car, He looks up from the Green monster and notices her tears, putting down the wrench he was using and goes over to her. "Hey whats wrong?" He asks his voice gentle. She just shakes her head.