Chapter Nine

Dearest reader,

This author finds herself compelled to share the most curious of news. It seems our diamond requires a closer inspection. As such, an even rarer jewel of only the most remarkable brilliance, fire, and luster has been unearthed. Her name, unknown to most, yet soon known to all, is Miss Marina Thompson. 

This author is left to wonder whether Her Majesty might reconsider the high praise she once afforded Miss Bridgerton... for we all must know what the queen despises more than anything... Being wrong. 

And the drawing room at Bridgerton House currently appears to be emptier than the muddled head of her dearest King George. It follows that Lady Featherington is to receive what she has always desired: the season's true Incomparable living under her own roof. She must be overjoyed.

It had also reached this author's ears that Miss Loren Smith, the gorgeous spinster, stormed away, multiple times might I add, from Viscount Bridgerton at the Danbury Ball. Is there a scandal on the rise between Miss Smith and the Viscount? My dearest reader, we will soon see.

The Bridgerton drawing room was indeed empty, just as Lady Whistledown had written. Although, the reason for the emptiness was all Anthony's doing. He had been shooing away suitors all morning, and while Daphne and Violet found it to be quite annoying, Loren understood as to why he did. Some of these suitors were not at all acceptable for Daphne. If Loren were in Anthony's shoes, she would be doing the exact thing, although she would loosen up a bit.

After hours of sitting around, enduring torture, Anthony finally rose from his seat, "I must be off to my club," he said, nodding toward everyone in turn, "Goodbye sisters, mother, Loren." And with that he left the room. A sigh of relief escaped Daphne's lips as she sunk into the couch. "Perhaps, Mama, we might attend the upcoming Salisbury ball by ourselves, and the Merriweather tea too." "I believe Anthony has already replied on our behalf, dearest." Violet said. Loren, glancing up from her reading, spoke, "I actually believe he has managed your social calendar through June."

Daphne groaned, hugging a pillow to her chest, "He'll be there the entire season?" Loren heard Eloise snicker from her seat beside Daphne at the girl's words. "He's just looking out for you Daph, it is his duty after all. But if you wish, I could talk with him about this." Loren said. A smile graced the Bridgerton girl's face, "That would be-"

A servant arrived, interrupting Daphne's sentence; "A caller for Miss Bridgerton." Daphne's face lit up. She smoothed her gown, prepping herself for whoever walked through the door. What a horrid shock it was when the one named Lord Berbrooke appeared. 

Loren vomited slightly, in her imagination of course.  Why would a loathsome toad like Nigel Berbrooke decided to call on the delicate flower that was Daphne Bridgerton? Violet looked equally as shocked, "Lord Berbrooke, uh, come in, come in. May I help you to some freshly prepared biscuits?" She asked, signally to one of the maids to fetch a new platter of treats from the kitchen. Violet then turned to her second eldest daughter, "Eloise, allow some room for his lordship, will you? 

Eloise stared at the woman, before glancing at Daphne, who seemed uncomfortable, and decided to stay put. Violet sent the young girl a look, "Eloise, are you not due for a visit with Penelope this morning?" 

"I believe I should like to stay." Eloise said.

"I believe you should like to go." Violet sternly said, her statement more a demand rather than a request. Eloise, with a groan, rose from her seat before storming out of the room. Lord Berbrooke wasted no time in sitting beside Daphne, an ugly smile plastered upon his toad-like face. "Forgive me for not calling sooner. I presumed your affections were already engaged. Now I know. You and I were destined for each other." The man spoke.

Daphne sent Loren a distressed look, and at that moment, she made a vow. She would stop that wretched man from marrying Daphne, no matter the cost.

Kind of a short chapter, I was struggling with what to write, for Anthony is my inspiration and yet he was barely in this chapter.

But to make up for it, the next chapter is going to more or so be Anthony's perspective, and maybe we'll get to see how whipped he truly is for a certain someone..👀

Thank you for reading and comment your thoughts!

-Av-