97

Pandora frowned at what I said. Her eyes flit towards the door we came out of minutes ago and back to my face. Disappointment etched into her expression. But I know she respects my decision. We've been through a lot and she knows I would do the same for her.

But at this moment, I have to take the lead. We're lost without someone knowing what to do. And honestly, I'm not sure what we should do either. Normally, this position would go to Lily or Remus.

"Is there anything else we need to talk about? I saw some tension with Remus and you," she said in a hushed tone.

I thought for a moment. Am I willing to face a similar reaction again? Just so soon from Remus'? I'm not sure I'll be able to stomach the offended look once more. However, if I'm going to fulfill the role of leading them, I have to be tough enough to take these risks. Despite any dislike for them.

"I think someone amongst us tipped them off," I admitted.

She let out a sigh of relief. Her shoulders relaxed when she heard it. My brows raised. Totally different than Moony's face when I told him.

"Thought it was just me thinking that. I just can't get comfortable knowing that there might be a reason why they came to my home besides luck," she agreed.

If it's anything, Pandora and I will agree on almost everything. Whether it be the shared life threatening experiences, I wouldn't know. There's something soulfully binding when you go through such strenuous events together. You hold the same fears, preventative measures, and thoughts in these situations.

"Merlin, that is so good to hear. I told Remus and he didn't take it too well," I confessed.

"He can shove off. That attitude he gave me last night; big no no," she curtly told.

I laughed and put a hand to her elbow. I pushed her gently to get us on the way back. I replied, "He's not that bad. He means well, I promise. I just hope—"

I stopped myself from finishing that sentence. I just hope I didn't confide in the wrong person. Why would I think that? Was it that easy for me to trust that there really is some traitor? I mean, it is a precaution but why did I seem so quick to say things like that casually?

She ignored my own interruption, thankfully. We reentered Sirius' hospital room. The others were sitting where they had slept; this time, awake. They conversed about the vending machine sandwiches and what our next move is.

Padfoot looked up once he heard the door open. We made eye contact and he smiled assuringly. Right before we fell asleep, he told me that whatever I decided to do, he'll support me. Fell in love with him again after he said that.

"All right, mates. Let's talk about where we're going," I began.

Remus turned his head to me, opening his mouth to start. Before he could get the first word out, I cut him off.

"We're going back to Hogwarts," I announced.

He pressed his lips together and the hard look in his eyes softened. He lowered his gaze and continued unwrapping his sandwich. Peter choked on a piece of bread as he heard the statement. Sirius handed him the Coca-Cola bottle on the nightstand.

"We need to get Padfoot some real help. And changing from one sketchy place to another isn't good for his health. This time—" I swallowed thickly, a headache forming between my brows, "—We'll ask Dumbledore to protect us."

Lily nodded, sipping on her apple juice box. The others seemed to agree after James let out a muffled 'Roger, captain.'

The overall atmosphere felt much lighter now that we are beginning our plan. Their postures seemed to ease as well. Maybe taking on this position was the right path for me to take. I know I'll have some worries from the group to take on for myself. But knowing that I can shoulder the burdens so they won't makes me feel better.

"Operation 2.0, Retrieving the Phoenix," Wormtail declared.

-

"Look at me, don't look anywhere else," Sirius ordered.

My bottom lip quivered and I tore my glance away from my shaking legs. The skates on my feet dug into the ice. He held my palms into his large ones tightly to stop myself from landing on my ass. Ice was already melting on my tights from the last time I fell to my knees.

"I'm simply not made for ice skating, Siri. I think it's time for me to take a break," I spluttered.

"You're not a quitter, lass. Now move closer," he argued.

His own skates skid backwards as my trembling body took a couple strides forward. The heat from his body came into my vicinity. As if I'd caught his warmth, my cheeks flared when I realized it. I could see the details in his face. The freckles trickled along his nose, the slight pimples on his forehead, and the clasp of his necklace that fell to the front.

"Fawkes talked big game before we got here. Saying 'I'll body all youse once we get on the ice!' Look at her now!" James chortled.

"Like a baby deer just born, aw," Remus snickered.

Rage bubbled and I felt my anger form into flushed ears. Forgetting my absolute clumsiness of the skating art, I made a beeline for them.

Alas, if my embarrassment could get any worse, my legs slipped out from under me before I could get halfway to my revenge.

-

"The phoenix? You flatter me, Wormtail," I jokingly said in a bashful tone.

"Blame Lily, she named the operation that when you two went out," he dismissed.

I clutched my heart like an arrow was shot through it. Lily stopped her bite midway and bared her teeth at Peter. Before she could take a breath, she was already vehemently deying it.

"I did not! James was the one that suggested it! I merely— merely said it for him!"

"Nope, don't look at me. Lily was all up in my ear with a 'My, doesn't this sound iconic?' and a mouthful of salami sandwich," James yelled.

She held a hand to her mouth; horror stricken once the truth was revealed. Remus chuckled, aiding it, "It's true. I watched it happen."

He laughed again, peering at me. I grinned, feeling the wariness between us lessen now. In the back of my mind, though, I know I'll have to speak with him about my claim of betrayal in our midst.

-lana