31: Pain/Sorrow 1

Haidar Jega
I had watched as the ward boys wheeled lailahs lifeless body into the theater. She was breathing but her pulse was failing. I was lucky she was alive. I had phoned Nailah and her mum.

I sent my private jet to go pick them up from Canada. Immediately after they land they'll board the jet and return. My white thobe was stained with blood. I had cried my eyes out and couldn't cry any longer. My heart was beating too fast.

Lailah had been in the operation theatre for about 3 hours now. The case was bad, I had brought her to the closest hospital to the palace. I wanted to take part in performing the surgery but the doctors disagreed with that. Seeing how weak I had looked.

"Haidar calm down." I heard Jabir say. He was sitting next to me. I had called him and he ran in here as soon as possible.

"I can't Jabir, I just can't. I feel like I'm going to lose her Jabir. I love that woman so much" I hugged Jabir tightly. I sobbed on his shoulder. He pulled out of the hug. He had tears on his cheeks as well.

"You won't lose her Haidar. Please do not say that." He said. I nodded my head. I was feeling too weak, I didn't even care about the blood stain on my body. I felt like I needed to be taught how to breathe again. I just couldn't get enough air.

As soon as the red light in front of the operation theater went off. I stood to my feet immediately. And so did Jabir, we both ran over to the entrance. A doctor came out with a disturbing expression masking her face.

"Doctor Charlotte, how's she?" I asked.

"She's not in a good condition at all Dr.Haidar. She has a 99% chance of dying. I'm still shocked that she's still breathing." She said. "We've wheeled her into that room, Go check on her and see. But please one person at a time" she said.

"Thank you," I said. Jabir gave me a bro hug before going back to sit down. I took calm strides towards the room the doctor had pointed at. I opened the door calmly to see her almost lifeless figure laying on the bed. I walked over to her calmly. The oxygen mask lay on her face, and she looked more fairer and beautiful. Her neck was bandaged and an IV drip was connected to her right arm. I stared at her pulse radiation on the screen laying on the stand in the room. Her heart was still beating but she wasn't alive physically. Only her heart was alive. Her body did not move, neither did her lips nor her face. She didn't even look like she was in pain.

"Lailah you have to be strong for us, you cannot die," I said. Hoping I would get a reply. "Immediately you wake up, I will arrange for our wedding, I promise I'll marry you and we'll birth strong and beautiful kids just like you," I said.

She was still Laying unshaken. I felt tears threatening to fall out of my eyes. I couldn't talk, I stared at her calmly and did not move. She was so beautiful. Her hair laid back on the pillow, it was very dark, long, and thick.

"You'll be okay, In sha Allah," I said. my head felt heavy so I decided to lay it on the bed. I didn't even know when sleep took over as I sat in front of her.

~*~

I opened my eyes slowly to meet the rays of the sun shining directly at Lailah. I got up swiftly and put down the curtains. I checked my wrist watch and the time read 12:29 pm. I gasped. How could I have slept so much, I even missed Isha, And subh all together. I silently asked for forgiveness from Allah, I couldn't even pray with so much blood on my body. There was no way I was going to do that. My skin had her dried blood as well. I was sure Jabir had left by now.

I heard a knock on the door so I walked over to it and opened it. A ward boy stood before me wearing the hospital's blue uniform. "What is it?" I asked calmly.

"Some people are here to see the patient." The ward boy said.

"Who did they say they are?" I asked.

"Her mother and sister. Should I let them in sir?" He asked and he nodded. I knew it would be Nailah and her mother. The ward boy left and I returned to the room. Lailah was still unconscious, at this point, she was in a coma. The only living thing in her was her heart.

"Haidar, what happened to my sister?" I heard Nailah say as soon as she walked in.

"Inalilahi wainalilahi rajiun!" Her mother let out a shrill. "My child!" Her mother ran to her and hugged her lifeless body. Nailah was crying badly. I didn't even know what to say in other to console them. I needed someone to tell me this was all a dream.

"Haidar what did the doctor say? Will she make it?" Nailah asked.

"She has a 1% chance of surviving. Only a miracle can save her life now." I said. tears poured down furiously from her eyes.

"In sha Allah she'll survive. I believe in that" Nailah said. "Haidar, why don't you go home and take a shower? You look like a mess, Mum and I will stay with my sister." Nailah said.

"But..." She cut me short.

"Haidar go. I promise we'll take care of her" She said.

"Okay, I'll be back very soon. Mum, please keep praying for her. In sha Allah nothing will happen to your daughter." I said to her mother. She smiled calmly at me.

"Thank you, my son," Her mother said. I smiled and walked out. I took in deep breaths. I walked out of the hospital while muttering Dua's for Lailah.

I got to the parking lot and drove off. The palace was very close, so the journey was not long. When I got to the palace, I didn't say a thing to anyone. My mother was the last person I wanted to talk to now, and Fatima had returned to Dubai for studies. My mum was indeed heartbroken but that's what she deserved for cheating on my father by marrying that bastard. I walked to my house and immediately ran upstairs to the bathroom. I took a very long shower and then performed Ablution. I came out and got dressed into a coffee brown thobe. I then laid my mat and made Dua's. I cried my eyes to Allah. I prayed for Lailahs life. I prayed for us. We couldn't just end here.

"Ya Allah Save Lailah. Don't take her now Y...ya Allah. P...please." I cried. I cried hard. I couldn't even cry anymore. I simply just laid my head on my lap and breathed in and out calmly. I then recited Suratul Fathia and then ended my prayers. I folded my mat and tossed it on my bed. I then ran out and made my way towards my car. I immediately ignited it once I was in it. I drove off in full speed. The drive was even shorter than the others. When I reached the hospital, I parked in the parking lot and ran straight toward Laila's room. People were even staring at me as I walked fast.

"Isn't that the new king of the north?" I heard a woman say as I passed by, I silently hissed. I halted In front of Lailahs room and pushed it open. I saw Nailah and her mother seated on the floor in the room, her mother was crying hysterically while Nailah sobbed silently. My eyes then drifted to where Lailah lay. She was covered from head to toe with a white cloth.

"Nailah, why did you guys cover her face like that?" I asked Nailah. She didn't say a thing. She just stared at me pitifully.

"Mum, why is she covered like that?" I asked her mother. Her mother did not say a word as well, she continued crying.

"Madam, here are the papers for you to sign. You can take the corpse after that" Doctor Charlotte said.

"What corpse?" I yelled. I ran over to Lailah and dragged the clothing off her face. She was laying lifeless. I felt tears cascading down my eyes.

"Lailah?" I heard her hand and felt no pulse. Her heartbeat had stopped. Her body was cold.

"Haidar she's dead." I heard Nailah say. I collapsed on the floor. "She died to save my life. Lailah died while protecting me" I said. I sobbed like a child. "Inalilahi wainalilahi rajiun. Lailah is dead! Ahhhhhhhhh" I let out a scream as tears filled my eyes. My world has most certainly ended. Lailah Dk is dead.