thirty seven

"You know, I am eternally grateful for this day to even be happening, but I swear to god, if one of you even dares try and put makeup on my face, I am going to get violent," Mallie declared.

She was sat on her bed in hers and Amelia's room, with Vic, Maya, Andy, Carina and Travis stood opposite her near the vanity. Her suit was hung up in it's dress bag, carefully steamed by Carina.

Amelia was getting ready for the wedding in Meredith's house with Meredith, Maggie, Addison and Charlotte. Cooper was on kid duty with Winston, Ben and Bailey, as the rest of the station 19 squad put the last finishing touches on the garden now guests were arriving.

Among the guests were a few others from the hospital, like Jo Wilson, Owen, Teddy, Leo, Allison, Richard, Cormac Hayes and Link, who worked closely with Amelia on a few patients and, in return, they'd developed a bromance of sorts.

Mallie thought it was highly amusing the first time she'd gone to the hospital to pick Amelia up and had found them teasing the fuck out of each other over a patient's sister Link had found attractive.

"Can't we have mascara, at least?" Carina said.

"No," Mallie rolled her eyes. "No makeup. You're lucky I let you do my hair," she said.

And Carina had done her hair. She'd helped Mallie wash it and dry it the night before, then spent hours carefully making sure her curls were perfect. Mallie just wanted to be natural for the wedding, considering she wasn't girly in any way, and Carina was trying to make her peace with the lack of mascara Mallie was insisting on.

"Fine," Carina sighed. "Shall we let you get dressed, then?" she said.

"Yeah. Are the twins okay?" Mallie asked.

"They're all fine," Travis said. "Dean's supervising them, too," he said.

"Sweet," Mallie nodded.

They'd decided not to do bridesmaids or anything. Dean was going to walk Mallie down the aisle, Meredith was officiating, Richard was walking Amelia down the aisle and everyone else would just watch. They had made an exception for the kids, however.

Ellis and Pru would come first with Bailey helping them. The three of them would be throwing flower petals. Then Zola was bringing the twins down with the ring boxes. Amelia and Richard would then follow down the aisle for Meredith to officiate the wedding.

Mallie got changed into the black suit pants and the white shirt, leaving the sleeves unbuttoned as she grabbed the blue tie that matched Amelia's eyes perfectly. She had a black waistcoat, too, that she slid on and buttoned up.

Maya stepped forward, taking the blue cufflinks off Carina and doing the buttons on Mallie's sleeves. She nodded, brushing Mallie's shoulders down.

"Perfect," she said.

Mallie grinned, grabbing her black dress shoes and tugging them on.

"All ready to get married," Vic said, tears in her eyes. "Oh, Mal, you're all grown up," she said.

Mallie laughed and wrapped her arm around Vic's shoulders, kissing her forehead.

"I know. It's scary. Shall we go and make sure everybody is alive before the wedding starts?" she said.

"Yeah, of course," Maya agreed.

They filed downstairs, the sounds of the kids laughing hitting the ears as they neared the garden. They looked out, seeing Zola, Bailey, Ellis, Pru, Scout, Myles, the triplets, Mason, Henry, Joey, Tuck and Leo were all laughing at Owen, Dean, Ben and Jack playing on the swing set Mallie had built for the boys.