Chapter 67

Chapter 67

Two days had passed by since I had been staying at my Dad's house. Two days and three nights. Everything had been great. The fears I had were long gone, it was almost like they never existed. I received the treatment I had never received before.

Dad and I bonded over every small thing that was common between us, whether it was murdering someone or a random TV show that popped up on the TV—we got on so well that I was surprised. The more I stayed, the more I learned about him and the kind of Alpha he was.

He showed me around the town, introducing me to everyone as his daughter after I got comfortable with that word.

I had no intentions of flying back home yet. Xalorad still hadn't returned and Mom was perfectly fine with me staying over at my Dad's for as long as I was happy. My life couldn't have been anymore perfect.

The wolves of the Shadowfalls were sweet once spoken with and their pets were no longer harmful to me. Dad had his own group of wild animals that he kept in the forest and he often visited them.

There was one day where he took me to the wild and showed me how much his wild animals respected him and connected with him only because he took care of them and fed them.

It gave me a different view of this world.

It took me a while to adjust to the place but I did. I no longer felt like a stranger as I did when I arrived here first. This was much better than any vacation I could've given myself amidst all the chaos.

Although, I was deprived of Xalorad and his presence.

Returning back to the reality, I moved my attention to the books inside the library of the house. There were a dozen of books here, some old and some new. A fireplace was set in the middle of the room, only used when it got cold down here.

Shadowfalls was sunny most of the time. It had a few months of rainfall and strong winds but it never got too cold. The house where my Dad lived in was warm and welcoming. It held only a few servants that worked around the clock. By midnight, you could hear your own echoes and your shadow's following you around.

"I've no siblings?" I asked, my voice low as I brushed my fingers across the books.

"No, unless you want some." He joked.

I shook my head, "No, I'm fine with being the only one..." I turned around and drew in a breath before holding it. "Why didn't you marry someone? Or start a family?" It was my first thought. When I landed here, I wondered if he had married someone or had more children but he hadn't.

"Never found the need too. I got old, women fled from my arms and duties were thrown at my lap. A marriage, a family was far from my duties." He responded, slowly and in his throaty tone. He wasn't as old as I expected but he was definitely aging.

"Didn't you find your mate?" I asked, curious.

"I did," Something shone at the back of his eyes before he looked away from me. "It didn't work out."

"I'm sorry."

He raised his arms and settled his heavy hands on my shoulder, shaking me a little away from the ground. Meeting with his penetrating stare, he said, "For a long time, I only wished to see my daughter and I've seen her now. There is nothing more I would want anymore." My eyes drifted shut itself and he leaned inside, giving me a kiss on my forehead. "And I should be apologizing, for staying for away. I should've entered that town and ripped that bastard your mother wed too."

I cracked out a little laugh while a tear slipped down my cheeks. There was something common between us and anyone could tell that.

"Would I be seeing more of you?" I asked, questioning the future.

"You can come here anytime you wish and once I settle things with your—Alpha," Hatred followed his tone that changed quickly. "I'll be there, always and I promise I won't let anyone ever harm you again."

"Thank you," I smiled back at him before slipping myself into his embrace. My gaze drifted to the clock. The time was nearing to midnight. "I should go rest now and stop troubling you. Your wolves probably think of me as some intervention."

He let out a peal of laughter before patting my back, "They wouldn't dare to think of that. But, you should go get some rest. We have a long day tomorrow."

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Marissa."

I couldn't beg for Hannah to sleep with me for another night so I let her go to Artemis, who couldn't seem any more happier. While she spend the night with her, god knows doing what, I laid alone on the bed, spinning and twirling around after every second.

I checked on my phone, hoping for a message from Xalorad but there was nothing on there except for a few homework files Lucas had sent me over the past two days. Despite the fact I was enjoying my stay here, I couldn't help but miss my mate. It had been days by now and I yet had to receive a call or a message from him.

Heat was circling inside my body, striking me from all directions. Whilst I was able to control my urges in the morning, I couldn't when the night fell upon me. It was hard. My thoughts kept me awake for hours and by morning, I had eye bags.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr