Chapter 33

August 23, 1996

It turns out that I'm not the only person here who has secrets. I'm not the only person who knows what they did. Not that it matters because the only witness refuses to come forward. There won't be much of a choice left after tomorrow. I'm going to call Sheriff Ramirez. I should have called him from the beginning. By the time mom gets back on Monday, everyone will know what she and her boyfriend did. Maybe Melanie and her mom will let me stay with them until this blows over. Is that possible? Could this really be almost over? I've been angry for so long. I'm not sure I know what normal is anymore. I guess I'll worry about that as soon as I see the two of them behind bars. It won't be long now. The end's right around the corner. I can feel it.

Final diary entry

Andra sat on her floor going over all the files she had made on Savannah's death for about the millionth time since all this started

Andra sat on her floor going over all the files she had made on Savannah's death for about the millionth time since all this started. She just couldn't make it make sense. With everything she had here, she was still missing something.

There were still so many unanswered questions. Who was the Colonel? Was he the man at the top of the stairs? Who did Savannah meet at the Bluffs? With time quickly running out and no more leads to follow it seemed that her unanswered questions were going to remain just that.

After the phone call with Jennifer, the day before Andra had contacted the house's previous owners. That conversation hadn't lasted long. The son of the previous renter was Mason Barnes. He had two younger sisters and all told they had spent around two months of their adolescent lives in the house on Pinewood Drive. He was very polite through the introductions until the moment that she explained the reason for her call. Immediately his demeanor turned cold. All he would say before disconnecting is that the house had ruined his and his sister's lives and that it would be better for all involved if someone burnt the cursed place to the ground.

Andra could honestly say that she wasn't too upset about the turn the conversation had taken. It had been just a formality anyway. Just another box to check. The family wouldn't have had any information on Savannah or her death anyway. Just one more story to add to the pile of stories about slamming doors and bodiless voices and not one single clue as to why any of those things were occurring.

Frustrated she began stacking everything she had gathered back into neat piles and putting it away into their separate folders.

For the first time in several days, she was on her own. Cameron was handling the audiovisual portion of their live stream. He had friends he said who volunteered in the drama department at the high school. They would not only know exactly what equipment would be needed but they even had access to it. Andra had talked to him just that morning but unless there was some type of drastic emergency he would be busy elsewhere this afternoon. The water leak had finally been repaired at her mother's office so Denise was back at work.