Chapter 55: Fallen Angels

Dr. Okimi stepped into the room but frowned when she saw Eri out of her bed standing at the window. She walked over to the girl's side and lowered herself so she was relatively even with the girl's height.

"You can't stay here Eri, we need to move you somewhere safer," Okimi said softly, trying to turn Eri away from the window

Eri turned to look at her, and Okimi saw something strange in her expression.

"Something bad is about to happen," she said simply, turning back to the window.

Okimi glanced out of the window, where the earth had seemingly destroyed a part of the city. As she watched, she felt a tremor go through the building again. She could see the destruction caused as something was sent flying from the massive dust cloud and went through multiple buildings in the distance.

"Something bad has happened..." Eri said, a shiver going through her.

Putting that aside, Okimi was able to guide Eri out of the room. The girl looked completely out of it. She had a blank expression and her movements were weaker than normal. Okimi decided carrying the girl would be easier so she easily lifted the girl into her arms and made her way down the nearby staircase. When she got to the ground floor, she walked briskly to her office, where she deposited the girl.

Before she could even open her mouth, Eri spoke again.

"People are coming... They want me..." she whispered, curling into a ball.

Okimi swallowed what she had been about to say. "Yes," she said instead.

"That's why you need to stay here, it's safer than your old room," Okimi said.

Eri just nodded in response.

Okimi went over to her desk and opened the bottom-most drawer. She pulled out a small blanket she used when she had to stay at the hospital overnight during the winter. She dropped the blanket over Eri and gave her a quick hug. She felt the girl lose some of the tension, and when Okimi stepped back, Eri seemed to be a bit more in the present.

Okimi went to the door, locked it, and then left.

Okimi made her way to the front desk, where Mei was frantically trying to organize the staff and keep the influx of injured people orderly. Okimi joined in the discussions and organizing, she provided quick healing to those who had the most severe injuries but otherwise conserved her energy. Okimi had just finished healing a citizen who had been brought in with a piece of concrete lodged in his chest when she heard Mei give a gasp and drop the clipboard in her hands.

Okimi turned toward her and followed her gaze out the front door. She could see a group of people, some were dressed as gangsters, but she could see four black armored individuals in the group's midst as well. She also saw a woman in a white coat at the front of the group, one sleeve flapped in the wind and it was clear she was missing an arm.

"I'll handle this, but put the hospital on lockdown and make sure the guards are ready in case they breach the barriers." Okimi snapped to Mei who nodded and scurried off.

Okimi walked out the front doors, she stripped off her coat and placed it on a bench just outside the front doors then she turned and made her way towards the oncoming group of villains. When Okimi got close enough, the woman leading the group stopped and so did the rest of them.

"If you are here for help, I'm afraid you won't find any here. We make it a point not to help terrorists." Okimi said blithely

"We're not here for help, just to collect something that is ours." Said the woman, adjusting her glasses.