Chapter 9 - Family Photo

NOTE: Y/N's magical ability is to enhance. (Ex: they can enhance their reading speed.)

Suggested by: mmmmmmmmmdontcare

"So why were you over there?" Mirabel asked as we walked towards the entrance.

"N-no reason!"

Isabela looked at me with the same face that Camilo did. I rolled my eyes.

Alma walked over. "May I borrow her for a moment?"

"You may." Isabela and I chuckled.

Alma brought Mirabel to the entrance of the new Casita.

Mirabel looked up at the house. "Home sweet home. I like the new foundation."

"It isn't perfect."

"Neither are we." Mirabel chuckled and locked arms with Alma.

"That's true." She smiled. "Just one more thing before the celebration."

"What?"

"We need a doorknob." Bruno smiled at his niece.

"We made this one for you." Antonio lifted his arms and gave Mirabel a shiny new doorknob, engraved with an M.

The family gathered around the entrance, Isabela dragging me quickly next to her.

Antonio grabbed Mirabel's hand and walked down the stone path.

"We see how bright you burn."

Mirabel looked around and then at me as I followed along with the lyrics to the sweet song.

"We see how brave you've been."

She looked at her parents.

"Now see yourself in turn."

She looked at Bruno. He motioned towards the bright blue door.

"You're the real gift, kid. Let us in."

Alma gently took hold of Mirabel's hand as she walked towards her.

"Open your eyes." She tucked a strand of hair behind her hair. "Abre tus ojos."

Mirabel looked down at the doorknob in her hand.

"What do you see?" Alma asked her.

"I see... me." Mirabel replied and turned around. "All of me."

This time, she looked at all of us.

Slowly, she walked to the door and inserted the knob. A golden glow was emitted from the door and spread throughout the whole house.

Mirabel tilted her head as she looked up at the waving roof tiles.

"Hola, Casita." She waved back.

Everyone entered the new Casita. First Mirabel, then Dolores, her parents, her aunt, Antonio on his jaguar, everyone.

Isabela was by the staircase with flowers that had so much pollen, you could dye your clothes with it. And that's what she did, along with her hair and me.

"Hey!" I joked. "I'm all blue!"

"You look nice in that color." She said as she grew a larger pigmented flower.

"Uh-oh." I took a deep breath in before holding it.

"I'm just kidding." She threw the flower down. "That color does suit you, though."

I let out my breath in relief. "Oh, thanks."

I dusted off extra dust and walked around the new house. It was just as it was before.

As I walked towards the stairs on the parallel side of the house, someone hugged me from behind.

"Let me guess, Mirabel?"

"Yep!" She replied and tightened her grip.

"Not to ruin the moment, but can you let go? You're gonna break my ribs."

"Oh, sorry!"

"Uhm, can I ask you something?" I fidgeted with a button on my shirt.

"Yeah, what is-" Mirabel was interrupted by the sudden movement of tiles.

"Whoa, Casita!" I yelled.

We were rounded into a small area with the whole family.

"Wait, are we taking a picture?" My eyes widened.

Camilo nudged me. "Yep, a family one."

"But I'm not-" Interrupted once again, but this time by the sudden..

"Everyone, together!"

"La Familia Madrigal!" They yelled as Casita smooshed everyone together, including me, for the photo.

(The badly drawn photo)

WORD COUNT: 584 words

Sorry I haven't been writing for a while, I just haven't been feeling like writing. I've started a comic on my Instagram, @that_anonymousartist, and I'd love if you went and checked it out. As always, stay tuned for the next chapter!