Chapter Thirteen

When the three men returned to the car, they found the women in the backseat. The only change that seemed to have taken place in Lucy's status was her head was now laying in Caroline's lap. "Scoot over, Blondie," Damon instructed as he opened the door. He slid into the back and took the girl's place under Lucy's head.

He kept trying to get some sort of response from her as his brother drove them to the boarding house. Damon patted the cheek that was slightly less bruised not wanting to hurt her anymore than she already was. "Come on, princess. Wake up." He only needed her aware enough to take his blood.

Alaric glanced back. "We need to take her to the hospital."

"No," the brothers said in unison.

"We just need her to drink some of our blood. It will heal her. If we take her to the hospital, that's not an option any longer. The rapid healing would be too suspicious," Stefan explained. "Trust me. We're saving her a lot of suffering by doing it this way."

"And if you can't get her to drink?" the teacher asked.

Damon kept his focus on Lucy as he answered. "She'll drink."

"Stefan, start my shower then come back and take the teacher home," Damon ordered as they pulled up in front of the house.

Alaric got out and leaned the seat up. Damon handed Lucy out then immediately took her back into his arms once he cleared the car. "I'll need your help, Blondie." He gave a nod of thanks to the teacher then raced inside and up to his room knowing Caroline would follow.

He laid Lucy on his bed and kicked off his shoes before stripping down to his boxers. He left her in his shirt and carried her into his shower. Sitting on the bench that ran along the wall he cradled her in his lap, careful to keep her face out of the spray. She gasped awake as the warm water hit her sensitive skin. She curled in on herself and tried to push away but Damon held her in place. "Shh. It's okay, sweetheart. I've got you. You're home now."

She collapsed against his chest though her breaths continued to come in heavy pants. He bit into his wrist and held it to her lips. "I need you to drink, baby. Come on and heal up."

Her lips covered the wound and she sucked down the offered blood. After a few moments, she pulled away and rested her head back against his chest. "Thank you."

He kissed the top of her head. "Anything for you." Caroline stepped into the room catching his attention. He gave her a nod then put his focus back on Lucy. "Do you think you can stand? I need to get out."

Lucy whimpered and grasped onto his shoulders. "Don't leave me. Please don't leave me."

He made shushing noises and rocked her just a little. "I'm not going to leave you, Lucy, but Caroline is going to help you clean up."

His human shook her head and kept him in her grip. "We can leave our underwear on, Day. Just don't leave me. Please." Her voice broke on the last word and tears ran to mix with the water on her cheeks.

"Okay. Calm down, sweetheart." He looked at Caroline who was watching with wide eyes. "There are clothes she uses in the second drawer down on the right side of my dresser. Grab her some pants and a t-shirt. And some underwear from her room. Bring them in here so she can change after the shower if you don't mind."

"Sure. Anything," the girl answered with a nod before hurrying off.

He sat with Lucy on his lap until Caroline dropped off the clothes and disappeared, shutting the bedroom door behind her. "Alright, princess. Stand up."

Lucy stood. Damon kept his hands on her waist until he was certain her shaky legs would hold her. She nodded to let him know she was steady. He rose to his feet, his hands moving up with him and sliding his shirt off over her head. Though her skin was now void of the previous injuries, he still saw every one in his mind. He should have gotten to her sooner. Should have never turned her away at the bar. He traced his fingers across her belly where a particularly nasty cut had been only minutes before.