8

valerie

i walked towards the back and saw ashtray counting stacks of money. i smiled awkwardly knowing i just interrupting him but he didn't say anything and nodded his head to the chair like he did earlier today. i sat down not knowing what to say. i didn't want to ask what he was doing since it sounded like i was stupid and i didn't want him to find me annoying.

'hey.' he said starting off the conversation. 'hey,' i said quietly. 'where did you go?' he said still counting the money. 'oh my brother just drove me around,' i said the same thing to him that i said to fezco. he nodded and counted the last couple 10 dollar bills and set them down on the table. i stared at him and then the money trying to count it aswell.

'is that all you did?' he said leaning back against his chair not fully believing me. for some reason i was nervous to see him like that, i don't know why. 'uhm yeah, i think.' i said staring at his hands. his hand were nice.

i continued to stare until he coughed to get my attention, i snapped my head up to the cereal box next to him. i was embarrassed. 'you think?' he said repeating what i told him. i feel like i could tell him, he doesnt seem like the type to tell everyone if you told him a secret.

i look at him, 'well i went to my brothers 'job' and i think he nearly died' i said, air quoting the word 'job'. he squinted his eyes not understanding. 'it was a drug deal.' i said straight up which caught him by surprise.

'oh.' was all he said which kind of scared me since i don't think i was supposed to say anything. 'you do drugs?' he asked me. i've done weed a few times and molly only once because when i did it, it gave me a nose bleed and it scared my friends. 'eh kinda.' i said nodding slowly. 'you want some?' he asked. i taken a bit by surprise when he said that but not because of the drugs, but because he was offering. maybe he was a drug dealer and just wanted money. i mean yeah that is why but i was still surprised.

'nah im good thanks though,' i said to which he just nodded. a few minutes pass and we're both in silence. he keeps staring at me and i keep looking down at my shoes occasionally looking back up to him.

'what happened to them?' ash randomly said breaking the silence. 'to who?' i said confused. 'your parents.' he replied slowly. 'oh they died in a car crash when i was really young.' i said cringing. i hated talking about my parents, mostly because whoever i told would start apologising like crazy like they cared when they didn't which always pissed me off.

he nodded. that was so much better than him saying sorry. 'and you?' i said trying to keep the conversation going although it was kinda depressing. 'i didn't know them.' he said picking up the money and placing it in a bag behind him. i nodded as well.

'what's your favourite colour?' i said trying to lighten the mood and to get know ash a bit better. he looked at me like i was a child and laughed a bit. 'ion have a favourite colour.' he said nonchalantly. i scoffed knowing he was lying. 'what's funny ma?'

ma? nicknames already? i couldn't lie that he was attractive but his personality also made me find him ten times more attractive. he was well kept and to himself which was what i liked.

'nothings funny, i just know you're lying,' i said crossing one leg over the other. he looked down at my lap and just stared at my thighs. i was a bit uncomfortable but i shrugged it off and waited for him to respond. 'fine, it's black.' he said finally responding and looking up at me again. 'other than black,' i said pulling a straight face which i couldn't hold. 'hm, red then,' he said smirking at his answer. 'that's nice, mines green,' i said looking at his hands again.

he just nodded.

--

two hours pass and i just spent the whole time at the shop talking laughing with ash and fezco sometimes when he would come in the back. he looked happy to see me and ash getting along. i was happy too, he was really funny and honestly nice when he wanted to be.

i picked up my phone from in between my thighs and checked the time. it was nearly 7:30pm. shit. andrew probably forgot about me but i needed to head back home so i didn't leave when it was dark. the whole time when me and ash were talking i was having a mental battle if i should ask for his number or not. i decided i would but only when i had to leave.

'hey ash, can i have your number?' i asked fiddling with my fingers because i was scared that he would say no. he looked up at me from his phone and nodded. i handed him my phone to which he put his phone number in and set his contact name to ashtray. 'send a me message real quick,' i told him and he did as i asked.

ashtray
yo

'thanks,' i said and smiled which made him smile a little too. 'well i have to go now, it's late.' i said standing up and looking down and ash. he stood up too and followed me out the freezer. fezco had his back to us and was scrolling on his phone.

i turned to ash and said thank you and sorry. 'sorry for what ma?' he said not too loud to not get the attention of fez. i smiled at the nickname he gave me and felt my cheeks get hotter. i gave him a weak smile to which he just looked at me.

fez turned around to see me and ash staring at each other face to face in silence. it was kind of a weird thing to see if you weren't me or ash so i looked at fezco and stepped back from ash. 'i have to leave now, bye and thanks,' i said turing my head to look at them every now and then. ash nodded and went back to his freezer and fezco just smiled at me. 'bye valerie,' he said. it was the first time he said my full name but i liked it.

au
ash and val😏😏😏
anyways i still dk what to write for the rest of the chapters till rue comes back i might just skip the whole summer?? maybe idk yet

1145 words