3

"Annie wants to be like Thena." Annie said as I tie her hair. I'm still waiting outside the office, in case they need me. 

"Why do you want to be like me?"

"Because Thena is pretty." Eh? "If Annie is pretty, too, Annie's mate will like Annie." Isn't that funny?

"You're a cute kid." I pinched her pinchable cheeks. "If that's only true." I muttered under my breath.

"Huh? where is your mate?" She curiously asked. I pat her head. He's there but he does not like me. 

"Is mister vampire your mate?" Does she mean Duke? He is technically not a vampire but... 

"You shouldn't think of such things, Annie."

"But... Annie wants to see Thena's mate." I smiled at her. I motioned her to come closer.

"Huh?" 

I whispered. "Do you like Milo?" I said pointing across the hallway, catching sight of the little boy who is waving at us.

"Eehhh! Thena!" Annie's face became as red as strawberries. 

"Annie! Let's go!" Milo yelled. 

"Bye! Thena!" She said running off, following the other and they vanish from my sight. One cannot identify their mate while they are young, so, it's a matter of choice how one will treat them. If they come to regret their choices, most of the time they can mend it. But with me, I wonder of all the impossible.

"Athena, you're here." I did not notice them when they walked out of the room. My senses have been dull and maybe I really am weak. "We're done with the meeting and I wish for Alpha Aiden to have a look around." I don't like where this is going. "Can you show him around?" Can't he read that I am avoiding this guy?

"Of course." I smiled through gritted teeth. This guy will get a piece of my mind after this. And I know he will continue to bug me even if I say no.

"I knew I could depend on you. Alpha Aiden, here is Athena again. She will show you around the orphanage." His name and mine in one sentence, that is unforeseen. The other was extremely quiet. Come to think of it, I haven't heard him utter a single word. What is there to say? We ended things up that day.

He just nod and so, we started the tour. 

"We have 3 classrooms here, one of them is for the toddlers. The others attend school at the nearest one." He trailed behind me still silent. All I want is to be done with this." And here we have the dining hall. It is usually empty around this-" Thud.

Thump. 

Thump...

Thump..

Thump.

My heartbeat started its uncontrollable pace as he pinned me on the wall, hand gripping on my wrist.

Thump. 

Thump.. 

Thump.

Thump

Electricity ran through my skin at the unexpected contact. His eyes locked me in an endless trance and I was falling in... falling... falling bac...

"What are you doing?" his slow and low voice weakens my knees.

"What are you doing?" I asked back. I closed my fists aware that the spell I casted before is breaking. That day, was it implied that we should act as strangers? If that's what he wants then I will do it. But what is with this attitude?

Ring.. Ring... I turned to my pocket where my phone is.

Ring.. Ring... It continued. I stared at him one more time. He huffed before letting me go. My hand almost went numb with his grip. I took my phone and noticed the name of the caller. Duke. "This is the end of our tour. The exit is that way." I said before walking away.

"Hello."

Apparently, Duke is in town. A great coincidence. Note the sarcasm. He said that he will come pick me up. Another great reaction, if it is. The unmentionable person arrived and the other came running after. Hmm...

Anyway, he drove me here one time, maybe, that's when Annie saw him. He did not enter the orphanage since he has a scent akin to a vampire, but he is not. Like I am not exactly a werewolf. Guardians are cursed entities who are responsible for protecting a designated species. We have different curses, different types. Mine is like an executory curse. Once it is fulfilled, my term as a guardian will soon be done. Who knows what will happen to me after Aiden rejects me? My human form may dissipate as my term ends. But should I be bothered? All of them rejected me.