Carlos: Mi Amado

You'd decided to visit La Casa Madrigal one day—you had been sitting by yourself at home with nothing better to do, and seeing the Madrigals was a good option to stifle the boredom.

Also you wanted to see your boyfriend.

"Hey—Dolores?" you called as you entered through the door. You looked around for the super hearing Madrigal and started when she appeared next to you, seemingly out of nowhere.

"Hola," she said with a smile. "Are you looking for my brother?"

You nodded, returning her grin. "Yep—I'm guessing you know where he is?"

"In his room," she replied, pointing upward.

"Thanks!" You pat her shoulder before turning and running up the stairs. You skidded to a stop in front of Carlos' door, pausing to look at the designs on it first: It looked exactly like Camilo's, except there were transparent animals behind Carlos' close-eyed form.

You opened the door. It was dark inside, only softly lit by the lanterns that hung in the rainforest beyond. In the forest, there was a dirt path lined by stones, which led to a gazebo even further. You could hear crickets chirping overtop the faint sound of a river running, and trees rustling with magical winds.

At first, you scanned the forest for Carlos—he might be in the form of a different animal, playing high above in the branches and acting sillier than he ever did in his human form. It was a rare occasion you got to see him have fun, because he almost never let himself go around anyone.

You stopped looking beyond when you heard a soft snoring and glanced beside you, where Carlos' bed rested in the corner, beside the animal-patterned walls. Carlos himself was sound asleep, with one arm dangling over the side of the bed and the other underneath his pillow. He was wearing his regular pants and red poncho—he must have been so tired that he didn't even bother to change clothes.

Being as quiet as possible, you kneeled next to him. He looked utterly peaceful in sleep. No moody expression or tense posture, no angry lines between his eyebrows. Just relaxed. His curly brown hair fell over his forehead slightly; you reached up and brushed it away to see his face better, with his dark eyelids and dusting of freckles across his nose and cheeks.

You'd been sure to touch his face only slightly, but he blearily opened one dark eye and focused on you. Embarrassed, you put your hand in your lap and smiled awkwardly at him.

"What?" he mumbled, and your heart skipped a beat—his tired voice was...something else.

"Hey," you whispered. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

He closed his eye again and nestled his face further into his pillow. "Mhm."

Clearly, he was about to fall back asleep, so you murmured, "Do you mind if I join you?"

Without opening his eyes, his eyebrows creased slightly as he thought it over. He was silent for so long, you thought he was asleep again, but then he said in a raspy whisper: "Mhm, go ahead."

You perked up, pleasantly surprised. "Okay, thank you," you said quietly. Being sure not to jostle him at all, you stood up and edged onto the bed, only exhaling when you were settled in between him and the wall. So you didn't make him uncomfortable, you turned on your side to face said wall, examining the interesting design on it—various paw prints from different creatures, as well as fur patterns.

You got another surprise of your life when you felt Carlos lazily turn around and put his arms around your waist. Your face burned at the contact, especially when you felt his hair slightly brush your neck. "Um—"

"Don't wake me up," he muttered in a husky voice, "or I'm kicking you out."

"Okay," you hummed, trying not to let on how flustered the cuddling made you. He rarely showed affection towards you unless you two were alone—which, obviously, you were now—but even then it was strange of him to do. Carlos definitely wasn't the touchy-feely kind of person.

You decided to just shut up and enjoy it while it lasted. You tucked both hands underneath your cheek and sighed through your nose, appreciating the feel of his arms around you and his forehead gently touching the back of your head. His breath warmed your neck slightly as well.

Maybe it was the lulling sound of the crickets in the forest, or maybe just being in Carlos' exhausted presence affected you, but you felt your eyelids getting heavy. You closed your eyes, and before you knew it, you had drifted off.

~~~

When you woke up, the rainforest had brightened, and Carlos was still asleep, based on his slow and deep breathing. You longed to reach over and run your hands through his hair, but you were, unfortunately, still facing the wall.

You didn't know what time it was, so you sat up to see the clock on Carlos' nightstand. In doing so, his hands fell from your waist, which left a cold in their absence, but you looked over at the clock.

5:30 pm

You frowned unhappily—you should probably get home. You gazed at Carlos again and was once more struck by his beauty in sleep. You leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead, then sat up all the way and swung your feet over the side of the bed.

Just as you were about to push yourself up, two arms wrapped around your waist once more, securing you in place. "Where you goin'?" your groggy boyfriend mumbled through closed eyes.

"Home...?" you answered, and he frowned. You quirked up an eyebrow. "Unless you want me to stay."

"I don't." Even half-asleep, he still sounded indignant. "I was just asking." You continued to watch him, and he scowled under your stare. "I can tell you're doing the face. Stop it."

"Just tell me if you want me to stay, Carlos," you said, a tiny smirk playing at your lips.

His scowl deepened. "Fine, you pain." He then proceeded to not say anything. You watched him patiently, waiting for him to continue. He sighed, opened his eyes a little, and muttered, "Don't go. Please."

Your smile softened, and you pushed his hair back once more. "Okay, mi amado." His expression turned quickly from irritation to surprise under your hand. "Are you okay?" you asked. Without a word, he buried his face in his pillow, but you saw his blush before he could conceal it. He grumbled a little, still hiding his face from you, and you couldn't help but chuckle. "So that's a yes?"

"Shut up and get over here," he said, muffled by his pillow. He reached one hand for you, and you carefully laid next to him again, putting an arm around him.

"I have to go home sooner or later," you informed him quietly.

He sighed. "Make it later," he murmured.

You giggled. "No problem, mi amado."

"Stop that," he griped, embarrassed. "You're just trying to get a reaction out of me."

You raised an eyebrow. "Is it working?" you asked. He gently elbowed you with a scoff, but you knew that meant 'yes'. "Love you, too, Carlos," you said, hugging him from behind and putting your chin on his shoulder.

He was silent for a count of ten. You worried for a moment that he was upset with you—though you knew there was no good reason—but he said, so quietly you almost missed it, "Yeah. You, too."

Don't ask, it was the middle of the night and I was lonely