14

I sat in a corner. The kids are napping and I am out of energy. Children are built different.

"Here." A water bottle appeared in front of me, finding its source, I was surprised to see Aiden.

"Thanks." I took it and he sat beside me.

After gulping the cold water, I almost want to splash it on my face. I'm beat.

"So, Nala is used to you. The kids are also starting to easen towards you." Their curiosity and innocence are mostly unbiased. Some say that they can see the good in people. So, if they like you, that's a good sign.

"They like you, too." Like? me? 

"Fate has been cruel to them, their innocence is tainted by their past. But," I stared at the peacefully sleeping ones, "I don't want them to remember their past for what they lost. If fate has accursed them, I will protect them. If I don't, if something bad happens to them, I know it's not fate to blame, it is me who failed to protect them when I can.

I turned towards the window ensuring I did not change the weather again.

"You–"

*Bzzz... Bzzz...* I took my phone out and saw Duke's name. Does he have a sixth sense?

"Excuse me. I just have to answer this."

I went out of the room again.

"What?"

"Great job on retaining the sky."

"Yeah. Yeah. Is that all?"

"No. I heard a little news, barely a news but maybe you should know."

"What is it?"

"That Prince I was telling you, his henchmen are targeting a she-wolf."

"Which she-wolf?"

"I don't know. Something about someone's mate. You can warn your people there to keep an eye. This Prince sounds trouble."

"Okay, thanks."

"Do you want me to drive you home?" He asked, probably keeping an eye on the sky.

"Are you worried that I am that someone's mate?"

"No. You can handle your own. I'll be worried for them."

"Hmmm. Is that really what you think?"

"Let's just talk at home. Melo's here."

The call ended and I headed back inside to slump on my previous spot.

"He followed you here?" Aiden is unbelievably talkative today.

"He has a business here. His business is more important than anything else." His love for wine may go on for a thousand more years. "You still don't like him, I see." His narrowing eyes are enough evidence.

"He despises me the same."

"Pfftt.." I covered my mouth to prevent myself from laughing, otherwise, I will wake them up. Their instinctual anger is funny. It has a reason but still, they appear to be two kids throwing a tantrum.

"I'll tell him that you have a mutual understanding."

"Mu.. Mutual?"

"Maybe, he already knows. But still."