19

"Sit down there." Duke asked me to teleport back home. He headed to the kitchen and somehow started to cook something. I thought we're clear that I couldn't taste anything.

"Just stay there." He said after taking a quick look one more time. Knowing his insistence, I waited quietly.

Duke has always been considerate yet I never know what his curse is. He knew mine because I told him and did not oblige him to do the same. Come to think of it, he promised to tell me when... I forgot when.

"Here." A steaming bowl of soup was placed in front of me. Ok? I'll just humour him then. I don't want to waste his effort. I sipped a spoonful and realized something was odd.

"Hey careful, it's hot."

"Yes." I think I can taste it, or almost. It was as if I was brought back to the time that I can taste it.

"Do you have a favor to ask?" I asked after finishing the bowl. Not that he only cook for me when he has a favor but it seems like this is a different scenario.

"None. But you... No, He(Aiden) left before sun down. Something definitely happened."

"You know I can't answer if you don't ask."

"He rejected you. You are clearly not okay."

"Maybe."

"Maybe?" He scoffed. "You should look in the mirror." He pointed towards the one in our living room. "See for yourself."

I sighed and went to check. There's no blood splatter in my face but... my eyes, they are still gold.

"The last time I see you like that is when we're at war. Should I kill him?" His eyes glow red in the mirror.

"No." I answered, staring at his reflection.

"You still care for him?" This strong feeling towards him, I don't suppose this is care.

I went back and grabbed the dishes.

"I'll go to Sicilia. It's time to pay them a visit."

The next morning.

"You're going there like that?" Duke crossed his arms, leaning by the doorway of my room.

"What? Do you want me to wear a gown?" I answered in my monotone.

"I don't care about your clothes but your eyes... he'll know something is up."

"What if something is up?"

He sighed. "Here." He threw something at me. An eyeglasses?

"This won't fool anyone."

"Your eyes won't be too attention seeker." I tried it on and it's slightly tinted lenses help hide the glow of my eyes.

"You know where to find me if something goes wrong." He waved goodbye as he walked away. His nonchalant tone does not hide his aura, he is still mad and he might prove true to his words. Should I care?

I closed my eyes and pictured Sicilia. I usually take two or three teleports to get there but now, I feel like I can.

There. I felt the essence of Sicilia, I slowly disappeared in the smoke and as I opened my eyes the castle stood in front of me.

It's been a while.

"You are?" The guard asked as I suddenly appeared.

"I'm here to visit." I said continuing to head inside.

"Visit? Wait, you're not allowed to..." I stared at him and he froze. Maybe I should teleport inside.

"Miss Laine." Someone called out, an older looking woman walked toward me holding a folder.

"I never see you visit. Go now, she's a special guest." He motioned the guard to scurry. "What brought you here?"

"Where is he?"

"Hmm... He is in his office right now."

"Office?"

"Yes, the same office, it hasn't been moved ever since."

I eyed the tower where it was, I could sense him there.

"I'll let myself in." I did not wait for an answer and immediately teleported to the office.

"Well, it was..." Their conversation stopped. Both stared at me, but my eyes were on him. He has grown old.

"Leave us." He said to the attendant.

"Laine." He called out standing up. His lips slowly curved into a smile that I haven't seen in a long while. "You're here." He walked around the table, unsure whether to walk closer or stay in place.

He is not old, he is tired. The lines under his eyes. His once sapphire eyes have grown dull. And I can sense that he is...

"You're sick."

"It's nice to meet you, too." He smiled avoiding my statement.

I looked around the office, nothing much has changed, there are more books and papers but that is a given. The painting of the moon above a lake still hangs on the wall.

"You remember that?" I turned to him.

"I always wait for this day. I hope to see you one last time. But not in this circumstances." His voice changed to dismay.

"What Azazel did, I am to blame. I went easy on him and thought that he was just a kid. What he did is clearly punishable. That's my fault."

"It's his fault." A decision is that person's responsibility, whether it is good or bad.He smiled, stood up and walked towards me.

"I missed you." He patted my hair like how he used to.

Love is something we lost over countless battles and bruised hearts. We are mates no more, only a distant feeling.

*Knock.Knock*

"It's Alicia."

"Come in."

It was a woman. His secretary, perhaps.

"Forgive my intrusion, but I have news from the council." He sighed. It seems that it is something he doesn't want me to hear.

"I'll hear it." There's no point in hiding anything from me.He nodded to Alicia to continue.

"The council seems to know about your health and is making preparations for a new king."

He put his hand over his forehead probably having a headache. The council is a group of advisers who are supposed to support the King. Perhaps it is true that those who you trusted will someday turn their backs on you.

"I can't provide them an heir so that is expected."

"Still, they seem too eager to ascend a new king." She is right. With what happened to his adopted child, they will find an excuse to expedite the process.

"I can't give up the throne with their way of thinking. Their aggressiveness is far too obvious to be dismissed."

"They are gathering this afternoon to talk about this. My Lord, I'm afraid if we let them be, this will worsen."

He then turned to me. "Forgive me for all this commotion."

"Do you want me to step in?" He is sick. I know he wants to fulfil his duty but still I am a guardian.

"No. It's too early to reveal yourself. I want to see more of their plans and possibly give them one more chance." He became a great king. However, greatness often ends in tragedy.

"Let me watch, then."

"Like old times."

Yes, I took off my eyeglasses and stared at him eye to eye. I can only do this to my mates or previous ones with their permission. To see and hear what they do.