9 Weeks

It was one of those rare occasions when the entire Dimitrescu family was sitting in the parlor, drinking 'tea' together. Alcina loved these family moments, they were rare as of late. Her three eldest daughters liked to be by themselves lately, especially Cassandra. Your mother had barely even seen her these past few weeks. She'd tried to spend some time with her second eldest but the girl had always found an excuse not to.

But today, she surprisingly accepted Alcina's request to join them in the parlor near one of the bedchambers. Alcina was seated next to Daniela, your crib next to your mother and Bela and Cassandra were sitting opposite of them. The woman did notice, however, that Cassandra barely even looked at you. But that was fine, all in due time.

"How did the hunt go earlier today, Cassandra?" Your mother decided to ask after a way too long silence. She glanced over to you to see you were still fast asleep.

The girl sighed. "It was fine, but I didn't find a lot of deer. Maybe we should kill another maid?"

This had Daniela jumping up, clapping her hands. "Oh! Can I pick one this time, please Mother?"

"You'll just toy with her and then we won't have any food until midnight. I will do it, Mother." Bela replied dryly. Alcina chuckled softly at her daughters’ antics.

"I'd rather not replace the staff again. Not for a while, at least. Perhaps hunting by the nearby road will prove fruitful?" Your mother raised a suggestive eyebrow.

"Oh, a hunting party! How exciting!" Daniela chirped. "Let's see who can hunt down prey the fastest!"

"Deal!" Bela exclaimed. "Cassi, are you coming too?"

The brunette shook her head. "I've been hunting all morning and I'm feeling rather tired now. You two go ahead and have fun." Everyone looked at her with wide eyes. Did she just really turn down a chance to hunt?

"Is something the matter, sweetheart?" Alcina asked softly, reaching for Cassandra's hand. The girl forced a smile.

"No, everything is fine, Mother. I'm just tired."

Alcina nodded, wanting to let the topic go but sweet Daniela wasn't going to let her off that easily. "Why have you been so grumpy lately? You never want to have fun anymore." The former youngest daughter pouted.

Cassandra rolled her eyes. "I’m not grumpy, I just don’t want to play your stupid little games.” She snapped at Daniela, making Daniela’s lip tremble as she shifted closer to your mother.

“My games aren’t stupid.” She muttered as Alcina pulled the girl closer to her, snuggling her.

"No they aren't, dearest." Alcina soothed. "Cassandra, apologize." She commanded. When at first, Cassandra just looked away with a huff, the blonde next to her gave her a little nudge.

Cassandra sighed, looking at her younger sister. "I'm sorry for saying your games are stupid, Daniela."

The redhead looked at her with a smirk on her face. "Apology accepted. I know you love them." She giggled.

"Cassandra, be a dear and fetch me Y/N's pacifier from the bedroom." Alcina stated. The girl did as she was told and silently walked over to the bedchamber to grab the pacifier. Upon returning, she wanted to hand it over to your mother. Alcina instead glanced over to you, wordlessly telling Cassandra to give the item to you. The brunette huffed in frustration, but carefully put the pacifier in your tiny mouth. You excitedly kicked when you saw your sister for the first time in a while.

"See? That wasn't so hard." Alcina smiled widely. You kept reaching out to Cassandra, opening and closing your tiny fists. She frowned and moved closer to gently tickle you. Before she could, though, you wrapped your little hand around a strand of her hair, causing Cassandra to flinch. You accidentally tugged it a bit too hard, however, which made your sister yelp. Everyone else in the room laughed at the sight.

"She's never managed to grab anything before! She must really like you, Cassandra." Your mother chuckled. Seeing everyone laugh made you giggle as you let go of her hair.

Cassandra didn't want to smile, but seeing you and the others so cheerful, she couldn't suppress the small grin spreading on her face.

"We should go now if we want to have dinner, Daniela." Bela managed to say between the laughter. Daniela nodded and stood up, walking over to you.

"Don't hurt her too much, little one. Cassi's fragile." Daniela teased, winking to Cassandra before quickly swarming away before the brunette could do anything. Bela swiftly followed her and Cassandra shook her head.

Alcina stood up from the settee as well. "I think it's time this little one gets some sleep." She says as she gently strokes the top of your head. Just then, the phone started ringing in the nearby bedchamber. Your mother sighed at the sound. "That must be Mother Miranda."

She turned around to leave, but suddenly remembered that she needed to put you to bed. "My sweet, could you put your sister in her crib in my chambers? She really needs her rest and hearing me in the other room will surely keep her awake."

"Of course, Mother." Cassandra smiled. Alcina closed the door behind her and your sister turned back to you. "Let's get you upstairs, little one." Picking you up, she chuckled when you started to reach for her hair again. She let you do it this time to keep you occupied.

"Don't think I'll like you more because of this." Cassandra scoffed with a smile as she carried you to your mother's bedroom, putting you in your crib, but not before placing a gentle kiss on your forehead and whispering "Sleep well, little one."