"I'm Not From Around Here"

*First, you must understand that humans are not the only sentient life in the universe. This is imperative and I cannot proceed without my explanation, so I must ask you to accept that this is fact.*

Well, that was not too crazy really. The universe is so vast it was not too much a stretch to think that there might be other life on other worlds. Besides, history shows that there are a plethora of unexplained instances that have occurred and been witnessed by various people groups and individuals since the dawn of time. As well, as a Christian, was I really going to deny this and suggest that an infinitely powerful God could not create a number of worlds with lives on them? That would be hubris beyond belief!

"Okay, I can accept that. Even here on Earth, we have some unexplained things, so why not have them in outer space as well?"

*I am pleased to see my initial scans were correct about your emotional and mental acceptance of this fact. Your belief system is interesting and worth exploring at another time. However, that you are able to deal with life in other worlds is permission for me to continue.*

A rueful snort. "I have a voice in my head, a new face, and body that, according to you, makes Captain America look like a wimp, and you really think that accepting the possibility of alien life existing is a big deal? I don't think you realize how crazy all of this is!"

*Nonetheless, I shall continue.* 

I swear it cleared its throat like a professor about to give a lecture.

*The people that created me live on a planet in the Andromeda Galaxy, some 2.5 million light years from Earth. This planet, as discovered by your scientists in 1999, bears the current designation of PA-99-N2 in your records and, as of yet, has not been confirmed with certainty as a planet. They are a far more advanced society than yours, and have overcome much that your world has yet to deal with; wars, pestilence, drought and famine have all been part of their history as a planet. But, instead of this causing further issues and interplanetary conflicts, the people groups chose to come together, to work together, and have been able to develop sciences, medicines and technology that allows them to leave in planetary peace.*

It sounded like some kind of utopian existence and, honestly, I was envious. I found myself wishing our world could get past some of its issues and do something similar. Imagine what we could accomplish if we did! I drifted off on a tangent for a moment as I let my imagination see the world's great minds working together against cancer, famine, and poverty. Wow, wouldn't that be cool!!

*It is, as you say, "cool." The only use they have for weapons is in defense from other worlds that may decide to invade. Internal strife on a large scale is unknown and has been for centuries now. However, the desire to learn, to grow and explore seems to be an instinctual thing with sentient beings, and the people of PA-99-N2 are no exception. To that end, and since faster than light travel is not possible for carbon-based life forms, I was created; a sentient construct designed to travel to other worlds, and bind with a host so as to observe said world in as unobtrusive method as possible. In the ideal, the host would never know I was even there; they would live their life with my system in them and, when they passed, I would separate from them and return to PA-99-N2 to give my report.*

Okay, so far this all sounded pretty cool and non-threatening, really cool in all honesty. I had to admit, it was a clever idea to have an observer integrated into a society like that. This system was like the ultimate spy; completely unnoticed and able to see and record everything for as long as the host lived. It was amazing, and, honestly, slightly disturbing too. I started to wonder if other aliens had something similar and if they had been, or were, here now.

*To my knowledge, I am the first system of my kind to be on Earth. Others have observed your planet, but from crafts in the atmosphere.*

"But you said faster than light travel was not possible for carbon-based life forms."

*Not all sentient life is carbon-based, Alex.*

I thought I had read something about that before, something suggesting that other lives out in the universe might be composed of something other than carbon. Well, looked like they were right.

*Shall I proceed?*

"Go for it." Was my acceptance of this thing suggesting I was normalizing to it, or that I was just going further into insanity? I honestly did not know at this point! But, I might as well hear what it had to say.

I really needed a name for it!

"Hey, um it feels really weird not having a name to call you. What did you say your name was again?"

*I have no name, merely a designation; Body Enhancement Cybernetic System.* 

Body Enhancement Cybernetic System, yeah, not really a name. So, what to call it/him? I did think of it as "him," though I knew the thing did not have a gender as such. Still, the voice had a male timbre and tone to it, so I designated it as male in my mind. Okay, so "he" needed a name. Something that incorporated the letters of his designation would make the most sense; B...E...C...S.....Becs? That felt awkward. What about....Becky? Well, though I thought of it as "he" it did not actually have a gender, so it probably would not take offense to having a name that traditionally was one given to those of female gender. 

*Becky is acceptable to me, if it eases your mind.*

Whoa! 

I forgot it was IN my mind and could hear my thoughts!

"Okay, we need to talk. Listening in on someone else;s thoughts is very, very much a big NO! around here. You do not go poking around in someone's mind and reading their thoughts like that!" 

I looked like an idiot in the mirror as I was apparently talking to myself! Yeah, now I looked like I was crazy!

*If I am to exist in you, I must have access to your central processes. In time, once all adjustments are completed, I can allow more autonomy, but for the time being, I must have access to all parts of your brain that concur with physical function and synaptic patterns.*

"So you are saying I will have you in my head 24-7 from now on?"

*Initially, that is correct.*

Okay, that was going to get annoying really fast!

"Wait, let me think, okay, okay, you need to have access to all the parts of my brain connected to coordination and movement and all of that, right?"

*Correct*

"But you don't need access to my memories or private thoughts in order to do what you are doing, do you?"

*That is correct. The access I needed to assess your mental abilities is no longer necessary.* 

"Okay. Then  you do what you need to, but stay out of those parts involved with private thoughts and memories,...deal?"

*Agreed.*

Great. Now I did not have to worry about Becky seeing what I thought. 

*Shall I continue.*

"Yeah, go for it. But while you do, I am going to get something to eat. I am starving!"

I really was.  I felt like I had not eaten in months! 

*That is understandable. You have not consumed solid foods for over a year.*

I froze.

A year....

A year?!

A year??!!!!!

I moved then. Straight for the floor, as I passed out.