Wanting & Needing

We're all just living to eventually leave.

Y/N POV

Natasha needs a break, that's what I'd figured this far into the conversation with Maria. A break. Now when everything was getting good, when I love you rolled off her tongue so calmly and honestly, she needs a break.

"Wanda's not good, she's okay though. There's just a line between okay and her whole world shattering again and she's pretty much just dancing on it," Maria sighed.

"So Natasha left to get away from Wanda?"

"No," she pauses with nothing but uncertainty in her manner, "I only know this from Wanda's perspective and what she knows is that Natasha isn't ready for marriage or for children but Wanda is and so there's no I love you that means enough to make her okay with not having those things."

"Why leave why not fix her problems?" I mutter almost angrily but Maria doesn't respond right away. She simply lets her eyes bore into mine as if to say 'really? Coming from you?' and perhaps she's right.

"There is no problem to fix Y/N, there comes a point where they have to realise not everything has a solution and not everything will work out regardless of how you feel for someone."

It's now that the pit in my stomach starts to ache and expand at a faster rate I can keep up with. Maria is right, but what if between those lines meant for Natasha and Wanda they're also meant for me? Not that she 100% knows that of course.

"Where is she? Natasha?"

Maria shrugs, "with her sister somewhere if anyone should be answering that question it's you, you were the last person with her. Were you not?"

"I was, but she was gone before I woke up just a voicemail left behind that was all I got."

The look on Maria's face appears again 'tell me you didn't do what I think you did' face. "You slept there? With her?"

"Maria you don't even have to ask you already know, but as for the did I sleep with her, I genuinely don't know I fell asleep and then she left so no I guess I didn't," I joke though my voice lacks the humour.

"She just needs her time," Maria concludes.

I shake my head, "no we had time we had all these fucking years of disaster and now I feel like I'm back there again god knows how many years ago chasing, begging to know her next move, watching my back, biting my tongue. I can't call or text or talk to her, I can't see her."

"I can't tell you what to do or where to draw the line, I love you, but between what you've told me, what Wanda's told me and the rest I've figured myself can't you see that you and Natasha only work well when someone else is on the line, Wanda. What happens when Wanda finally leaves when there's no drama or contract between you and Natahsa, when all that's left is you and her raw and burnout? When the fire dies down and the flame goes out and you're left in the cold will her being there keep you warm? Isn't the fact she couldn't have you and you couldn't have her the reason for you and her to begin with."

Yes, no, yes.

"This is Natasha we're talking about, there will never not be drama and I will never not love her."

"And is that not the issue?" Maria says, now calmer than before.

"The drama is just how life works we just have to suck it up," I shrug.

"It's your voice but those her words Y/N don't lose sight of what you want or need because the fact is nobody else is... Wanda wants kids and a marriage so her relationship is done, Natasha needs a break so she took one. You did a bad thing falling for Natasha when you did, while she was with Wanda but this is their relationship stop picking up their pieces and figure out what you need."

I nod my head, "therapy," I joke.

"Then you should go."

Maybe I will maybe I won't, there's not all that much time to process what's being said until I feel the presence of someone behind me. Perfume I know too well.

"I was walking by and I saw you both and I figured I should tell you both something."

Maria stands up first but I'm quick to follow. I watch as tears fill Wanda's eyes and part of me wonders if she knows what I've done.

"No secret stays a secret around here," she begins and I swallow, "I don't wish to know any more than I already do."

"Wanda, what are you saying?" Maria interrupts, evident that even despite their talk she didn't know what Wanda was about to do.

"Natasha and I called off the engagement for good, this is it no going back."

The pain on her face turns my stomach, my lack of surprise telling her enough.

"I won't hold grudges or fight anymore I'm done. I don't know when Natasha will come back but I do know that I'm not," she pauses as she messes with her phone, "I've just sent her my notice I'm done, I can't be here or see her I have to be done with it all."

"You can't just throw away years of work," Maria's voice shakes.

"I don't care about the work this is what I want and this is what I need, I've already cleared my desk and found a list of people for her to interview, they'll take my place."

I still can't say a word. I can't tell her not to leave, she's already made up her mind and there's no changing it.

"There are things I want from life that I just can't get here so this is goodbye, the drama the shit show of relationships the anxiety that I will never just be enough is too much here so I'm doing this for myself," she finishes.

"Wanda," I try to talk but fail.

"Please don't try to stop me. I'm still grateful even despite everything that I had the chance to love you and though I don't know what you and Natasha have, nor do I want to, I do know that I want you to look after her. Don't let her go cold again, don't let her make stupid choices just make sure she's happy that's all I ask," she cries.

I nod.

"So this is really goodbye, in this little coffee shop across the street this is actually goodbye," Maria chokes.

"It is but it's not forever I'll still come to see you but yes Maria this is goodbye."

What happens when Wanda finally leaves? Maria's question burns through my mind. I guess it's time to find out.

Maria hugs Wanda goodbye. I simply nod my head, there's nothing more to say except one last thing.

"I'm sorry."

Even with no explanation behind it, Wanda nods her head, "I know," she says softly.

A/N- we all know it's time to say goodbye, one last goodbye till the next time