MALEVOLENT 17: Unexpected Skirmish

The hardest part of her plan had been to find a good enough alibi. Through much arranging and cajoling, she had managed to get a spa weekend at the thermal pools near the Rhydderch Volcano, accompanied by her handmaid – Kaya – and only a few armed guardsmen who would be stationed outside at all entrances and exits. Or so they thought. The pools were built almost into the side of the volcano, in a twisting, winding hive of tunnels and ancient burrows. Delilah had already sent Nell to scope the place out, giving her a break from gathering information on the target Ishtar had commanded she kill.

"Delilah," Nell said, a wraith dropping into her room as Delilah buried the pilfered supplies she needed beneath a swathe of robes, slippers and gowns in her carrying bag.

"What?" she snapped. She was trying not to let her blood boil with nerves. She needed to do this before honing her attention on gaining the alliance with the Illukanya. Underneath it all was a creeping feeling she should really be focusing on dismantling or altering her upcoming wedding – whenever that was meant to be – but that would also put her head to head with Tiberius, and she couldn't even think about that right now. Perhaps she was making big mistakes, with all her priorities in the wrong order. It was too late to fix anything anyway.

"What do you want, Nell?" she repeated.

"This is a bad idea."

Delilah continued packing stonily. She had refused to let servants do it for her, disguising her true intentions behind an insufferable royal attitude and telling everyone that no one would pick the things she most liked to wear. Since she would be practically confined in the baths and away from both court and the general public, someone had agreed. Of course, finally having some autonomy over her outfits meant she immediately packed stolen spare armour.

"If you sneak away to do this, you're risking everything! This plan is not and could never be watertight. Anyone could discover you, and then what? You're out of excuses. You're going to destroy everything you've tried to do until now. Why throw it away on a whim?"

"I need to do this."

"No, you don't. Wait for battle to find you – by the ancestors, it always does – rather than going chasing for it!"

"If I wait for battle to find me, it could be the most important battle of my life, and if I react badly, all my plans will die with me anyway."

"There are too many variables you can't control right now."

"Who are you to tell me what to do?" she retorted. Nell had never spoken so boldly or brazenly this often. It seemed that the other girl had been storing all her thoughts and disagreements inside, and now she was letting them all out. Why? Did she no longer fear Delilah? This was a problem.

"I'm trying to help you, Delilah."

"Just get out and make sure everything is prepared."

"It is –"

"Then double-check!" She turned back to her things and ignored Nell entirely. Her heart was thumping in her chest when she thought of the upcoming battle. Nell was right, of course, in everything she'd said, but Delilah had made her choice. She'd just have to ensure that no one found out.

The next time she turned around, Nell was gone.

Kaya was demure and silent, hair bound in cloth as she accompanied Delilah out into the courtyard where her carriage was waiting. A group of soldiers performed drills on the opposite side, and she tried not to let her eyes be drawn to them.

The last time she had seen the salamander army in action, they had been overwhelming her in the Valley of Mist.

Finias stood at the front, a star in silver armour, his chin held high as he barked orders at his men.