Chapter 5: Purple Roses (466-467)

You probably know that red roses symbolize love and passion, but you may not know that the color, number, and how roses are combined have coded meanings.

Purple roses means you are my pride.

——————————

Alberu Crossman, the Crown Prince and future King of the Roan Kingdom, was absolutely and utterly in love.

Most people knew Alberu as a level-headed and objective Prince who never lost his composure, even during war. His subordinates looked up to him in awe. His allies respected and admired him.

If they'd known that Alberu was in love, they'd surely wonder: who could have taken this Prince's heart?

Who would be perfect enough for this perfect Crown Prince?

Most of the nobles, being old-fashioned, would think so hard of any young lady that came into contact with the Prince. The only conclusion they would come up with would be former Princess Rosalyn from Breck Kingdom or the Necromancer Mary.

They would like to think it was Rosalyn, thinking that a Necromancer would never suit the throne.

The minority of the nobles, along with the commoners, would have a different opinion. They fully understood that only one person could be on par with their Prince.

A certain Guardian Knight from the North would even scream, "CALE-NIM IS WAY ABOVE THAT PRINCE'S LEAGUE!"

But we don't talk about that. We don't talk about Clopeh, no, no, no.

Anyways.

It'd been quite some time since Alberu last saw the object of his affection. He did hear from Marquis Taylor Stan that Cale had visited him in regards to the Ancient Power they were researching, but that was all. He didn't even have any conversation with Cale.

Alberu had used the time he spent without Cale to think more about his feelings. He did come to the conclusion that he was, in fact, in love with his sworn brother, but he had no idea what the next step was.

Should he confess?

To be honest, Alberu wanted to. He wanted to take Cale aside and tell him all about his feelings. It'd be great if Cale accepted and returned his affection, but Alberu wouldn't really count on it. He just wanted to let Cale know that he was loved, that was all.

Yes, his heart did long for reciprocation, but Alberu knew Cale. Being with the Crown Prince was the opposite of his dream and Alberu had no plans on disrupting that dream.

Who knows? Maybe by telling Cale the truth he'd feel relieved and could start the journey of moving on. That'd be the best option.

So perhaps he should confess...

The next question would be when and how.

Those were the hardest questions, weren't they?

Alberu groaned and banged his head on his desk, startling his confidant who followed him into his office after the meeting about the document Crown Prince Valentino from the Caro Kingdom had sent over.

His beloved sworn brother caused trouble again and he was thinking about confessing? Seriously?

"Your Highness? Is something wrong?" The young disguised Dark Elf asked hesitantly. She'd never seen the Crown Prince in front of her acting like this before. He looked... frustrated.

"No, it's fine. I was just... thinking of some things," Alberu said with his usual smile as he quickly straightened his position.

Sora, the Dark Elf, was silent for a moment.