MALEVOLENT 19: Dream

Delilah knew she was dreaming, but she didn't care. The most amazing thing had happened: the Fire Opal had returned and here it was in the palm of her hand. She tipped it from side to side, studying the way it sparkled with a hidden ember in the light. Finally, it was all hers and no one could take it away.

She realised she'd made a grave mistake, before, when she'd had brief possession of this marvellous thing. Why had she allowed anyone else to take it, even given them chance in the first place? Now all the flames in the world would dance at her fingertips. She had to make it permanent and learn from her mistakes.

It was so simple, really.

Delilah shoved the Opal into her mouth and swallowed.

Pain. A blockage – tearing through her, closing her airways, stuck in her neck too big to fit – Delilah doubled over, choking and retching as blood rushed to her face. She clawed at her neck, but it was stuck and she wasn't breathing and the pain, oh ancestors the pain was so bad, she had to get it out out out even if she used a knife to cut it out, surely that would be best...

"What have you done?" a familiar deep voice cried, and muscular arms locked around her stomach from behind. Someone heaved, almost tipping her upside down as the pressure increased and their arms cut in, forcing air out, forcing her to expel. Not a heartbeat later, a broad palm smacked her back.

The Opal finally budged, tearing and bruising the inside of her throat on its way out. Delilah spat it out. The stone bounced and skittered across the floor as she went limp in the Night Bringer's arms.

Next time she would have to grind it down to powder and drink it, or add it to her food. Or add it to ink and get it tattooed into her skin... Yes, that would work...

"What happened to you, my lady?" a voice cried.

Delilah woke with a jolt. Servants, not Kaya, clustered around her in the bed, holding dresses, creams, and powders. Her cuts smarted and she realised there were spots of blood on the sheets.

"I... I fell into a thorn bush yesterday," she rasped, her throat sore from her dream. She was furious that Dante had made an appearance, and thought about it even as she babbled excuses about being too embarrassed to tell anyone.

"Well, we'd better get you bandaged up, it's going to be a big, big day!" the head dresser announced.

"Why?"

"They're announcing your betrothal, of course, and it's going to be a grand ball!"

Fear seized her.

Delilah, you idiot! You ignored it, out of fear of Tiberius, and now you're out of time!